Who are you and what do you do?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by BrizoH, Sep 14, 2007.

1. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

I am currently working in an admin type role at a body shop. I have been working in the auto industry for over 5 years now and I have had enough of it so I am looking to move into IT. I administer the systems here as an unofficial IT support guy (2k3 SBS server and Xp Pro/2k Pro clients + 1 Linux box). I have been into computers since I was 11. I am very keen to start working doing something I love. I sadly am just lacking the experience at the moment.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I work for a UK government dept, and have done for 27 years. Got into IT about 17 years ago when Xerox GlobalView was around... waddya mean you don't remember it??!! :rolleyes:

Moved onto WFWG3.11 with Novell Netware 3.1X servers, and then got involved with NT4 and Win95.

Currently working in a Service Delivery role, and also do a bit of Project Management.

I don't enjoy either and so, as a result, I am self studying to get those quals to go along with updating the little bit of experience I used to have along time ago. :cry:

Oh, and I have just helped to bring in departmental broadband and 3G connectivity for mobile staff. We also use RSA tokens.

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Used to be a school network manager, now I work for the LEA's ICT support team.

At the moment I seem to be the 'jack of all trades' guy who gets the stuff others don't want to do!

For some strange reason though I seem to be getting a lot of Cisco Wireless jobs, quoting for Network Infrastructure, site surveys, etc. I'm also getting involved quite a bit (hopefully!) in our internal networks migration to ESX. 8)

4. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

:biggrin Ok its just a small hosting and design business, I also do some freelance programming and desktop support. Currently trying to increase the number hosting clients I have.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, CIW Associate & CIW Pro
    WIP: CIW E-commerce and 70-270
  5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I'm an IT Tech (under temp contract) in the NHS.

But i'm off hopefully in the next few months back to Logistical Support.
    Will be involved in delivering everything & anything around UK.
    But will keep my hand in with some temp IT work once in a while.

Oh and i need to get out of debt & repay my large overdraft!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  6. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Well, I have been in the IT business for about two months now and I love it.
    I'm in IT support but what I have mostly been up up to in the past few weeks is installing XP on new desktops/laptops for users within my company and setting up their workstation. this project is all but finished now with the last people to roll out this week. Also I have been troubleshooting problems with Apps, blackberry's, and of course dodgy PC/Laptops, a bit of AD stuff and the odd RAM/HD upgrade here and there. Just run of the mill IT support stuff I guess but its all good experience for me. Over the next few months I am to be trained on server support and this will become my role by next year, I have already assisted in 3 server builds so far and the server room looks less scary to me now than It did a few weeks ago.
    I am currently reading up on anything I can get my hands on related to networking, I just wish I had more free time to study.

Yeah, it sounds sappy but moving in a IT job was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I now have a job that is interesting and I can be arsed getting out of bed in the morning for.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, it's awesome when it doesn't suck to go to work in the morning, isn't it? :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Completely agree with this - never thought it would happen as I've never heard anyone else say it - but its true. We discussed "would we go back to work if we won the lottery?" at work, I was the only one that said yes...... at least I'll get more exposure with less staff that way :biggrin

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, I can't see myself doing absolutely *nothing* challenging... I'd go absolutely insane.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

When it goes quiet at work, the other engineers are surfing the net.... after an hour I've surfed the entire internet, read all interesting pieces of news, found out what the stock market is doing, answered any threads in CF..... I'm ready to go back to work :blink I think some of them think I'm odd :p

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I can some what relate to that as I try to use my time very productively at work when quiet I read an e-book on 070-270 or 291 etc. I know some of my colleagues might view this as odd but hey got to get me self up to date or be left behind.

Well in terms of the world of IT as technology changes so quick and its my responsibility to keep myself up to date. Just the other day at work I assisted our systems manager in configuring a 3G card on a dell laptop with vista ultimate installed. There you go, so go figure:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. MajorGeek

MajorGeek Guest

I run our development network and am point of contact for all other IT problems in the department.

The network runs along quite happily and is an excellent tool for me to use for studying in between pretending to develop an application using WebSphere (I really dont get Java, used to be OK with Oracle).

13. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Hey guys i'm Ally i'm 22 and from the Uk

I previously spent 2 years working as a 1st line support technician for a Housing Association I worked in a small team and supported about 200 users both internally and externally. Duties included troubleshooting , computer repairs, software installations , audits , software upgrades, I also gained experience troubleshooting minor network issues such as ip conflicts connectivity issues etc.

I supported a windows environment for my duration of stay in this position after 2 years I took up a new challenge.

I have spent the last 1 year and a half working as a I.T technician for a charity we basically take in old computer hardware and refurbish it for reuse.

My job role varies it feels like I am currently I am undertaken 7 jobs lol

I build rebuild tinker and repair various old hardware ( Macs, Sparcs, Pc's ) and get them ready for reuse

I am also the first line support guy ( we have numerous projects which I provide I.T support for )

When a new project is in the process of being set up I am called in to help the sysadmin run cables , patch phones and punchdown connections etc, And once the network is setup i'm the poor so and so who has to support it first line lol

As we sell compters I am also a salesman lol

I also train vunerably housed adults and teach them interesting stuff about computer matienance,

Lastly I setup and help administor open source technlogy projects ( I have setup a few Debian boxes )

On the whole it has been a interesting career so far and my ambition is to become a network engineer

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I've been working professionally in IT now for 12 years and have been messing with computers for a lot longer than that.

Currently running my own IT company in Australia offering sales and support of windows based servers and workstations to local small businesses and residents.

I've been working since 1969 and all of my past job roles have been of a technical nature. I enjoy configuring and fixing things when they are broken. Troubleshooting is my passion and computers are the latest thing to come along that rings my *i can fix this* bell :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Im currently employed as a CST providing 1st and overlapping into 2nd line helpdesk support to the NHS. Although a lot of the applications used are out of our depth, and thus the power of loggin and flogging a call sems to rule the rouse. However Im trying to grasp a bit more knowledge about these applications and hopefully i can have a more "hands on" approach in IT soon.

I have been doing this for around about a month now, my first IT position. Its defintley different from stacking beer at the supermarket and being asked where the beans are by the same lady every week:blink

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That made me laugh out loud thanks :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

It did for me when I was on 1st line - out of 12 of us in our office, only 3 had a real interest/idea of what was going on, the other 9 were customer service representatives and could follow a simple script but that was it - log 'em and flog 'em!