Which way to go...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by GarethCompton, Jun 22, 2011.

1. GarethCompton

GarethCompton New Member

Hi All.

Just registered on here as I'm currently sans-employment, and my particular part of the job market is looking for Engineers with MCSE/MCITP.

I've never needed certification before, and I'm now looking into which path is the best to go down.

I was a generalist IT engineer for 7 years, working on everything from network cabling through to Windows Server builds and commissioning.

Following on from that I took on the role of IT Manager, most recently overseeing the rollout of Windows Server 2008, but only in a firm of up to 150 staff. Agin, this role was a generalist type of position which I'm sure a lot of people have been in, providing end-user support, maintaining backups, virus definition updates, securty and patch updates etc.

So my question is: Am I looking at the right path by considering an MCITP in Server Administration, or are there better alternatives out there?

Opinions and guidance would be very welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Gareth Compton

2. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Sounds like you have some great experience, don't feel like certification is required going forward, but it can help validate your experience and knowledge. Server Administration would be a good route, is it also where you want to continue working? Take a look at the three exams required for MCITP:SA and read the objectives of each exam. You'll get a sense of what you already know and which areas you'll need to study and if it sounds like the route you want to continue working in.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

the SA route sounds good for you -

You may find there are a few things you've not dealt with before, as your company only has 150 or so staff (The SA is aimed at a bigger user base, but thats not a problem, you can study towards these bits)

Also note, the EA and SA exams for MCITP now focus on Windows Server R2 - so be sure to check this out if you're not using this build on your site.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud