Which way to CCNA?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by jdee, Mar 13, 2007.

1. jdee

jdee New Member

:confused3 After what seems like eternity I got my A+ certification done and been thinking of doing CCNA. My question is should I do N+ first or just forge ahead and get the CCNA. Been reading a few books from the library on CCNA but can hardly make head or tail on the subject. Any advice welcome

Certifications: A+
    WIP: A+ N+ CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends if you have *any* experience on networking or not.

Based on your comment I suspect that Network+ will be a better bet to start with.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would certainly recommend the N+ before the CCNA. If you don't know the information the N+ provides, you absolutely need it before the CCNA. If you already know all the material presented in the N+, then you can breeze through it in no time and gain an extra certification. Either way, you win by doing N+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Isn't this a tony christie song?

Sorry couldn't resist :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd go for the N+ first. But unfortunately it is not recognised here in the UK. But I'd still go for it in terms of knowledge as the CCNA can be a monster to overcome:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I beg to differ mate, any IT hiring manager worth his / her wage will know what a Network+ is.

It's not often advertised in jobs, but you can be sure that if its an IT person doing the shortlisting then they will know about it. They 'should' also value it. I know I would.

8)

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I agree with you Simon but the fact that it's not even listed in a role in Jobserve when compared to MCP, CCNA speaks volume. I value it without a doubt.

But this does not matter much if the HR and IT manager's are not listing it as a desirable then there's not much I can do or say. However, I believe in the USA this is probably not the case. Cheerio and don't touch that dial:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So is Jobserve some sort of "bible" that drives what is and isn't recognised? I don't think so. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL :biggrin

Seriously though, Network+ is a worthwhile cert to have on your C.V. It may not be rated by some Human "you need MCSE to work on a helpdesk" Resources peeps but within the IT industry its well known.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. osiris

osiris Bit Poster

People in the industry are fully aware of Network+

But the employment agencies are not

Certifications: CompTIA A+ Net+ CCNA MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291 to make MCSA