Which study books to use for MCDST?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by jamie 1, Feb 4, 2011.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I went through daemon tools since its a while since I have used it.

When you have an .iso of an os and you want to run it instead of burning it to a disk. Start daemon tools, you will see the deamon tools icon in your taskbar. Right click on it and select virtual devices then device 0 and then mount image

If you have virtual pc running and have created a virtual hard disk do the above and virtual pc will think the .iso is actually a cd in the disk drive.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

You might have to install SP1 for vpc 2007.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

downloaded Windowx XP from technet but not listed in my list of programs. Any ideas where it might be?

4. greenbrucelee

follow the instructions from technet, it wont be in any of your programs because it isn't a program its just a download it will be named something allong the lines of winxp32bit.iso. Why not check your desktop or downloads folder or temporary folder. It will never be in any of your programs because you will install it onto your virtual hard disk on virtual pc so it will become part of virtual pc although the file will just stay wherever you download it to.

remember it doesn't come in the form of an exe file (thats a file that you click an it installs) it comes in the for of iso which is an image which must be burned to disk using nero which creates an exe for it or use deamon tools to make it work.

I think perhaps you are getting slightly confused in what you are doing and trying to rush into things a bit too quickly. Everything you need to know about virtual pc is on the microsoft website and google. everything you need to know about deamon tools is on the deamon tools website and google.

When you download something where do you normally download it to? thats where your download of xp should be. I will try an tell you the full steps. of using virtual pc.

1 start virtual pc
    2 click new and run the virtual hard disk/machine wizard
    3 start the new virtual machine
    4 if your os is on a disk insert the disk
    5 go to the menu on vpc and run the cd drive
    6 install your os as you would on a real computer.

if running with deamon tools

1.start virtual pc and ddeamon tools minimize deamon tools to the task bar
    2. run nvew virtual machine wizard
    3 righclick on deamon tools with the methods I said earlier
    4 in virtual pc menu select capture iso
    5 install the os as normal

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  5. greenbrucelee

6. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Thankyou Bruce you are being a great help. I downloaded the XP file from technet and it has disappeared. I just downloaded it didn't save it. Its not in my downloads folder I don't know where it is. Will try to download it again.

7. greenbrucelee

Why dont you just get the MS press books that come with xp then you can save yourself a bit of hassle.

8. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Thanks Bruce. I think I will have to do that. I'm just thinking is it worth studying for the MCDST since XP has become obsolete or it soon will.

9. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

xp is not becoming obsolete the MCDST exam is being retired on June 30th but alot of companies still use xp and will probably continue to do so as it works fine for them... Im studying for my MCDST just now so I would say go for it........:D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  10. greenbrucelee

Just because Microsoft have released Windows 7 does not mean Xp will be obsolete infact that is the main reason Microsoft extended the retirement date of the the MCDST exams.

They came to realise that XP will be the predominant OS in business for years to come because its trusted, where as Vista had a lot of problems and although Windows 7 is great alot of businesses stick to what they trust which is XP plus the fact that not every company in the world can afford to upgrade their OS to 7 or any OS just because a new one comes along.

If you can get the MCDST done before June 30th but you will need to stick at it. If you have any questions or need help just ask on this forum there are plenty of people who can help you.

11. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Thanks Bruce you're a one in a million. Thankyou for all the advice.