Which Router will be the best one for SME

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mrbari, Feb 8, 2008.

1. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

Dear all,

We are a SME organization. We would like to buy a router for internet distribution which should have at lest two Fast ethernet port- one port is for ISP provider link and another one for our local use. Which series of router would be worthful for us. Thank you.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We use the Cisco 2600 series router at our place. We may be an educational institute, but we do have over 1300 users. We haven't have any problems with it so far.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

How many users and end devices are we talking about? Is this a stand alone site, or are there other offices (different buildings) that need to communicate with each other?

Depending on needs (e.g. IPT; # of VPN's, # of circuits...) look at anything from a Cisco 800 series, 1800 series, or 2800 series. By default I’d say look at the Cisco 2800 series. That’s our smallest office router. We’ve used the Cisco 800 series and Netscreen 5GT for additional connections at some sites as well.

** We're pretty much a Cisco-shop here. The 5GT was an experiment that was successful but not enough to strain our Cisco relationship :)