Which qualification/certification?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by XDA, May 28, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have been on both sides of the fence, hiring people and applying for jobs.

It all comes down to preference of the Employer or the Recruitment Agency in relation to what they prefer to see or not see on CV's. I have read threw some of the example CV's on Recruitment Agency websites and some of them are terrible. I would not have given anyone an interview who produced a CV like that.

One of the key areas is presentation, a potential Employer especially will not always go through every CV, what is going to make them look at yours for a longer period than someone elses? is it qualifications, experience, achievements, layout etc?

I have taken two huge career changes in the past 12 months in which I have add little or no experience in the relevant field. I have always included a Personal Statement and I have recieved interviews and job offers within days in both counts.

Don't forget that applying for jobs is a numbers game, apply for 100 jobs, get 10 interviews, get 1 job :)

Also I should mention that Recruitment Agencies on websites such as CWJobs, Jobserve, Reed etc like to gather CV's for potential jobs that they could have. So do not think that every job you apply for acutally is a real job.

Oh and one more tip, get friends and family to read through your CV to give you suggestions, because as a famous store says 'every little helps'.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Nope, just real life. There are things that a company can and can't do for staff. Its expensive to insure young drivers. Every manager has a budget to run his department.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

im sure you cant say that in a job ad tho?

sure, a company could lie and say you havnt got the job due to lack of experience or something but to actually say "no sorry no under 25's"

was under the impression they could be taken to an employment tribunal for that

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  4. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I am familiar with job sites as I use them every day. Yes, there is a section where you can write a personal statement (or professional profile), but not all employers have time to read each one, they go straight for the CV (as people in recruitment tell me). Yes, there is a section for a cover letter, but that's for the candidate and not for the employer/recruitment agency to see!

Yes, personal statements (again, professional profile is best) can be badly written but mine is not one of them, and since including one on my CV, I've been getting a lot more results.

You can carry on repeating your words like a parrot, but at the end of the day - it's just your opinion.

5. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Again, professional profile is best, and don't forget the US recruitment system is a bit different to the one over here.

But whatever works for you.

6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Ohhhhh....she's getting touchy now - a touchy noobie!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Oh, how quickly a normal discussion can turn to Ad-Hominem when no further reasoning can be found.

8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

LOL! Just joking with you. :D

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ive always found that the CV is there to show you can do the job, the interview is for them to decide if you fit in personality wise, so ill probably leave any sort of personal statement out of my next CV, then again my current one is just basically bullet pointed responsibilities and software used for the jobs ive done, and my qualifications.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doesn't matter whether the US recruitment system is the same or different... companies in the US *and* the UK exist to make money; don't fool yourself into thinking that they are different, or that they exist for any other purpose. Thus, most employers *really* don't care whether you like Manchester United or not, or if you fly model airplanes as a hobby... because that is absolutely irrelevant to whether you can do the job. And that's the same in either country, I can promise you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I wouldn't include that information in a professional profile.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then we're speaking of two different things.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!