Which path to take?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by mmacken, Jul 16, 2011.

1. mmacken

mmacken New Member

Hi guys, I am looking at getting a career in IT and need to know where to start.

I am currently working in a warehouse and want out.......NOW and I really need to get started ASAP.

My exeperience with computers is good but have no experience within a work place except with Micrsoft office.

I am pretty handy with html/css and build websites for local businesses, I also have experience with building computers and replacing components and know my way around windows right through to 7.

Now because I have no work placement experience I am guessing entry level certs would be the place to start, something to get me into an entry level IT role and then work on further certs as I go along.

What sort of entry level jobs would I be looking at and which certs would correspond with getting me through the door?

I have looked around and nothing seems to make sense at the moment so your help would be greatly appricated.

Also I will be going the self study route so if you could recommend some books with the corresponding certs that would be great.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike :biggrin

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

First of all, decide what area of IT you want to go into... As that will reflect what certs, studies and entry level position you should be aiming for.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You need to determine a direction as ken said look into typical IT careers, they include positions like :-

Business Analyst
    Data Analyst
    Database Administrator
    eCommerce Manager
    Field Engineer
    Hardware Engineer
    Helpdesk Manager
    Helpdesk Support
    Infrastructure Architect
    IT Director
    IT Manager
    Network Administrator
    Network Support Analyst
    Penetration Tester
    Programme Manager
    Project Manager
    Service Delivery Manager
    Software Developer
    Support Analyst
    Technical Presales
    Technical Trainer
    Technical Writer
    Test Analyst
    Test Manager
    Web Designer
    Web Developer

There are a lot of resources about for careers advice from the BCS, NextStep, University Careers, Google, etc.

Broadly speaking the jobs generally fit into these categories :-

Development
    Service Provision
    Management
    Ancillary Skills

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. mmacken

mmacken New Member

Hi, thanks for your replies so far guys.

Looking deeper into my career path I think a good place to start would be 1st line support, just to get my feet into the world of IT and gain that experience all employers are looking for.

What certs would you recommend I gained to jazz up my CV enough to get employers to take notice?

Thanks again in advance.