Which MS Certification to get?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Necro007, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Necro007

Necro007 New Member

Hi Guys this is my first post. I need some advise on which certification to study towards.

First off a little about myself and where i plan to go.
    I currently have my Comptia A+, Comptia N+, MCAD and MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration( exam 70-680). I support a client base of over 100 users, onsite and remotely. I work on Windows XP, 7, Server 2003, 2008 and Vmware servers. Soon to be 2012

I want to get more proficient in Servers and expand my knowledge in that area.
    The Exam 70-685: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician and Exam 70-686: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator have caught my attention.

Any of those exams plus my 70-680 exam awards me a MCITP: windows 7 certification.

Now i also read up and the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 seems a good choice as we will be upgrading our systems.

What would be my best choice: 1. Go straight for the MCSA certification
    2. Go for the 70-686 > MCITP: win 7 > then MCSA

Thanks for the help.

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

As far as I was told by the trainer when I was doing the 685, the 686 is just the 680 in a massive amount of detail. I personally enjoyed the 685. The MCITP is being dumped though, so you become an MCSA in Windows 7 (and the MCITP)

3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF :)

Yes, the 685 is better for the support side as the 686 is an Administration exam.

Although if, like me, you do get involved heavily in both sides of Windows 7 (roll-out/admin & support) then aiming at getting both is no bad thing as the 686 (alongside the 680 you have) also gives you the opportunity to take the MSCA: Server 2012 as a single upgrade exam. I am studying towards this path right now, as my ultimate aim (at the moment..!) is MSCE: Desktop Infrastructure.

HTH

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  4. Necro007

Necro007 New Member

Hi Guys thanks for the replies.

RichyV i just learnt that. I can the 686 exam and that with my 680 i get to do an upgrade exam for the Server 2012.

That looks very appealing. To be honest though, i don't do much roll outs ect and judging from the skill set for each exam the 685 would be a perfect fit for me and the environment i'm in but as said above, the 686 gives me a shot at the Server 2012 upgrade exam.

I think i will go for the 686 exam so i get a shot at the server 2012 upgrade and see where that takes me.

Any good books you would recommend? I want to go the self study root.