Which motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Probably why I went on to say that apparently they are improving in price. Suggest you try looking at it the problem from flex's point of view rather than your own.

2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

That makes sense.

What doesn't, is why haven't they tested a 1GB or 2GB RAM stick?

If this is because it can't be run in DDR mode, then what mode does it have to be used in.Can you tell me the different mode, with a brief explanation please.

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I believe i am indeed taking Flex's needs into consideration
    it is my understanding he will be using this machine for VMWare studying, hence his interest in it supporting large ammounts of memory,

this comment seems to not take his needs into view, 1gb in 2x512mb matched pairs would limit him to a max of 1.5GB PC 2700 in non DDR mode
    2x 1GB modules would give him 2GB DDR 3200 in DDR mode, giving him much greater performance

i believe that was a key component of flex's purchase decision, and i was merly giving him information i had to hand/experianced

as for the testing flex. im not sure what your refering to?
    motherboard manufacturers wont go and test every memory configuration, its alot of time and money, they will test the most common
    this is why something like, a hp server cost way more than building one at home, the exhaustive testing and certification phases the product goes through means its guaranteed to work with whatever its designed to work with, and its tested to meet those high requirements
    these are consumer motherboards though, and are not expected to need those sort of requirements
    you could possibly contact ASUS support and ask if it will work with 1GB modules, or perhaps ask if there is anything PREVEVENTING it working with 1GB modules, as if you ask the former, they may just say 'its not a supported configuration'

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I was going to mention the reason why I require more RAM than would seem necessary in my last post, but forgot Cart.

It's because I want to run VMWare.As I get into exma 216 and onwards, I want to be able to set up complex networks and have a few virtual amchines open simultaneously.Hence the reason for a lot of RAM.
    Ok that's cleared that up.

The testing? well at the bottom of the link there's a table.i presume these are supported/have been tested.It doesn't mention 1GB sticks you see.

I may contact ASUS to make sure.

If it only takes 512 MB sticks, then that'll be a max of 1.5 GB.

I really want 2GB though.I know, some may say I don't need that much.That's what I've decided on, and it's my money, but thanks for the concern.

5. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

I read this so called quote with growing dismay, and have now decided that this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Firstly, may I point out to you at no point in this thread up to my post has Flex alluded to VMWare in his PC project. In my opinion (the only one I have to give) I believed that 1GB would be sufficient memory for a 'standard' PC construct. With VMWare then yes of course the more the better.

Secondly, not everyone has large amounts of money to throw around for such a project.

Thirdly, 512MB at PC2700? I have two sticks in my machine that run at PC3200. But, whatever you say...

Finally, the most disappointing aspect to all of this is you yourself. For the last few months or so where you have made yourself at home on this board, I can say without fear or reservation that I find your attitude nothing short of appalling.
    Reading many different posts that you have made, one thing is clear. Without question your subject knowledge is laudible, however tempered with your condescending, patronising and egotistical mannerisms with your aura of 'self importance' this pales into insignificance.

In Certforums there are what I would class as 'experts' - they know who they are - who have in my opinion imparted their knowledge effectively, helpfully and supportively. And by the way, to those people my thanks go out to. Again, they know who they are. Perhaps you may like to try to take a positive from their methodology.

Take whatever viewpoint you wish from this post, because as of now I just dont care anymore. If you wish to take pleasure from the fact you have turned me away from this board with your attitude then fine.

I will be quitting this board shortly after this, with regret, as I have 'met' some very decent people who are like myself trying to better themselves by learning IT. Unfortunately, you are not the type of person I want to learn from.
    So I say DONT quote me again, DONT address any post to me and CERTAINLY do not PM me.

Thanks to all at Certforums, I do hope at somepoint it will return to it's former glory last year, when it was one of the nicest places to be.

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Um, Ok

this is indeed true, and I dont recall saying 'flex said this that or the other, i said I was taking flex's needs into condiseration, as i had a little more info than you, having spoken to him over messenger

again true, but i am not really in a postion to base every recommendation on an individuals budget, as i dont know it, i can give the advice based on the information at hand, its upto the individual to make cut backs where they feel they want to, in order to meet thier budget

i feel this is a case of you not reading my comment correctly, 1gb in 2x 512mb matched pairs at PC3200 is POSSIBLE, but to maximise memory you would need three (non DDR, and they have to drop to PC2700) unless 1GB modules were used in the only 2 slots you can use if you want to retain DDR and PC3200 capability

well i must say, i do notice that you signed up a whole 3 months before me, have never mentioned to me that you didnt like my 'appauling attitude' as you put it, im quite happy to take the comments of others, and i have done on a regular basis, you my friend, have made no such attempt.

See above

I am more than happy to take advice from, learn from, and share my experiance with the other experts, mods, admins and members of this site, thats what its all about, thats why i am here, and thats what we all want out of a community

I take no pleasure, and I know most of the other mods are just as suprised by your comments as myself, I have done my best in the months I have been here to assist others, and help the CF community to grow and flourish, I am not perfect, and I am not a teacher, so sometimes my advice/comments may not come across in the best manner, but I dont think any of us here are, and we can only strive to do what best we can with our knowledge and experiance

If you feel the board is no longer for you, then that ofcourse is your decision, I would ask that you stick around, you were a friendly face, who always lightened a situation with a good bit of humour, but if your differences with me are that strong then we will miss you

Oops.

We hope so to! all the best in the meantime

7. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Well, of that final post I can only say this:

The manner in which you reply proves once again to me that I am right. And I would appreciate (and respect you more) if you replied for yourself and not as you seem to think on behalf of everyone else here. Thats an old school yard ruse to garner respect where it isnt necessarily due.

Against my personal wish, I shall abide by the forum in not continuing this discussion any further as it is off topic and any further comments will debase the forum's public image, and thats certainly not what I would want.

Thank you so much for your time....

BTW I WILL apologise if I was incorrect regarding the memory issue, twas a genuine error made in haste.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

So does anyone else want to talk about motherboards, or will we just leave it at that ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

fraid so mate, thats defo a PCIe only board
    if your still gonna want AGP you will have to look at a different model im afraid