Which memory for ML115?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robp, Aug 6, 2010.

1. robp

robp New Member

Hi All,

Triple bonus today - sons 2nd birthday, Amazon delivered the study books and the new ML115 was delivered!

I've been checking out the memory and disk upgrades and just wanted to check in with you guys over options before I order.

This is what I was going to order from Overclockers:

2 x Kingston 2GB (1x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C6 800MHz Single Channel Memory Module [KVR800D2N6/2G]

2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (WD3200AAKS) [WD3200AAKS-00SBA0]

Which (and what size) USB stick would I need for ESXi on the internal port?

I'm still in two minds over whether to go the Hyper-V route (studying towards MSITP) or VMware (which I'm more familiar with), so have downloaded Hyp-V and HP optimized ESXi. Which would you suggest for ease of use? I don't want to get bogged down in virtualization yet, but want to concentrate on the MS cert.

Thanks,

Rob

Certifications: PRINCE2 2009 Practitioner
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Happy birthday to your boy, it's great (my son is 3.5 years old).

As far as the USB dongle is concerned go for a 2gb one.

As far as ram goes, I would try and max out the ram where you can (8gb max for that server). If you don't you're not leaving yourself much space for running any VM's at all.

I would also do both, you can install vSphere to the USB key and Hyper-V to the hard disk, just swap and change over when you need to. You can use either platform for the MCITP.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

Hi Rob

The memory you have specified is fine, I remember I saw an offer for this at this site

I'm sure the disks will also be fine.

As for the USB Stick, 2GB will be fine but if you shop around to can get the Kingston DataTraveler 4GB for about £6 inc VAT

I use vmware at work and at home, it's easy to setup the basics and there is plenty of sites offering help on the net. Techhead.co.uk has some great info regarding setting up ESX on the ML115 G5.

Hope that helps

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8
  4. robp

robp New Member

Thanks Guys.

I've gone for the Aria deal but you're only allowed to buy 2 sticks of mem at a time. Shame.

Plumped for the WD 500Gb disks and SATA cables from them also.

Might try Hyper-V until the extra memory arrives. At least it'll install with the current 1Gb unlike ESX but like the idea of running ESX from a USB leaving the drives free for VM's, so may swap later.

Cheers,

Rob

Certifications: PRINCE2 2009 Practitioner
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It's what I did, ran ESXi on a USB stick....

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA