Which machine to use

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by loca1hero, Dec 23, 2009.

1. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

I have started on the MS press book (exam 70-271) for MCDST and one of the things as mentioned at the beginning is ‘you should not use your main PC as you will be changing setting and with having the 120 days of XP Pro edition’ - I was thinking to get a cheap PC or laptop that I can use for this :eek: Or should I just use my PC :hhhmmm I don’t want things to work differently afterwards as I’m quite happy the way they are.
    You guys have any ideas or advice on this and anything else that you can throw some light on .. :blink

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Yeah - Use VirtualPC 2007 to create a Virtual PC and install the trial OS on that instead.

Here's the download link for you - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Guide to using the software can be found here - http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Microsoft-Virtual-PC

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks for that I have got a Windows XP home edition, would the virtual PC workon it , on the website it mentions about XP Pro editions but not home edition just want know if anybody tried it on home edition & if it works :eh

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'm afraid it doesn't. It installs ok, you can load up an OS, then it tells you.:x
    Try virtualbox (which is open source), I've installed it and got halfway through installing an OS when I realised the product codes were in a box in my new flat, and not here in my old flat.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

According to this article it will work, but it's not officially supported by MS.

There's only one way to test it - try it out.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. alsy

alsy Bit Poster

Certifications: MCNE, CNE5&6, MCSA, N+, Project+, ITILv2
    WIP: MCSE2K3
  7. alsy

alsy Bit Poster

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I use VMWare Server for my labs as well, and I will continue to do so until I get round to setting the server box up in the shed with ESXi

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. alsy

alsy Bit Poster

ESXi is the business! That's what I use for my dev environments at work. The performance is fantastic and vSphere is a great tool for managment. As you say though, with any bare metal hypervisor, you need a dedicated server.

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

At present for all my lab works I use VMWare server but would eventually love to switch to ESXi in the near future.

We're fully going the virtualisation route from next year and and it's going to be VMWare ESX servers:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

My current lab is also VMware ESXi 4 U1 based , i am loving it!!!

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots