Which IT Certification Are You Most Proud Of?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Veteran's son, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello everyone:

I am not sure if this thread is in the proper category
    but if not, could one of the staff members
    relocate it please? :biggrin

I was just wondering of the IT certifications you
    have achieved, which one are you the most proud of? And why?
    In addition, for those who are working towards
    a certification/have an IT certification, which one do you
    think will help you most in your IT career?

Well, I guess I could begin first. :biggrin
    I have only one IT certification(as of yet) but I am proud of it.
    It is on a wall beside my diploma and to me is a good accomplishment
    and meant alot of studying. :)
    I require this certification as I plan to be a
    computer tech someday soon in
    in the future.

Look forward to hearing your responses!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Good idea for a thread mate.

I was chuffed with my MCAD, as I felt that it was about my level and fitted in with what I did for a living. I pushed on and got my MCSD, but to be honest, it's over and above what I do on a daily basis so it feels a bit pretentious.
    But each to his own.
    I'd really like to do an MCDBA or MCSA next, again, because it's what I do.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Well as corny as this may sound, all of them. I have no favourites, some took more work than others.

If I have to say the one that gave me the most pleasure in passing then it was my first 70-210 Windows 2K Pro. The pass that included the most amount of alcohol drunk afterwards, then the last one (Exchange) that gave me the MCSE. :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, of my A+, Net+, and MCSA, I'd have to say my Net+. It's really the foundation of networking and the only exam that really kicked my arse, even though I passed it. I think I'll be even prouder of CCNA once I get it.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't know. Of the certs I have now, MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, and A+ none seem that exciting to me. What would turn my crank up a notch or two would be to get an LPIC-2, and when the LPIC-3 cert comes out to get it. Now that would be an accomplishment I'd be really proud of.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

thanks fred, a good link. Something i new nothing about.
    As a starter to linux i am "hooked" :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Veteran's son

That is a good link.
    Thanks Freddy! :)
    Look forward to the rest of your responses!

8. ffreeloader

LOL. I've been hooked ever since I was able to get a working install of the Debian release "Woody". It was about 10 times harder to install than "Sarge" is and it was a feeling of great accomplishment.

I also have to say since I've been "playing" with Debian I've been more excited about computing than ever before. I get to custom build my own kernels from source and configure them just the way I want, modify the system through text files that require, and teach, a much greater understanding of how computers work, etc....

I had felt really "insulated" from the actual computer when using Windows for a long time. I wanted to see what happened in the background and be able to actually know enough to really know how to configure a computer, not just run a wizard for a long before I started with Debian, so this distro just really suits me. It teaches more by accident than Windows teaches by intent.

9. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

For me it was my first cert - Windows 95 and by god did I work for it! I'm not boasting but I've so many now I'm pretty blasé about the whole thing. Though I think I'd be chuffed if I got a CCNP...

I measure myself now in what I teach and do at work rather than what certs I have. They come with the territory. I guess if you asked me 5 years ago I'd have a different tale :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well I am proud of my MCSE. It took a lot of hard toil to finally get it. I did it not because I needed to but because I wanted to prove to myself that I could still learn. It had been a long time since I left school in 1969.

I agree though, the first pass is the one that really gets your corks popping :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Veteran's son

That is a great accomplishment, Bluerinse! :) I went back to
    school and completed my IT diploma after a number
    of years away from school also.

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

freddie- i always like to "know" what is going on and what makes things tick like you, so Linux is right up my street!

I should give Phoenix a virtual beer for starting the ball rolling with Ubuntu....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. ffreeloader

I know what you mean by being proud of the fact that you aren't too old to still learn. When I first went back to school in 2000 it was a real sense of accomplishment to be able to be one of the top students in all the classes I was taking after all the years away from school. If I had done my MCSE before I went back to school it may have given me that same sense of accomplishment. But, for whatever the reason, my certs have never felt like a huge accomplishment. When I passed my A+, as it was the first one I took, the gals at the testing place were asking me if I was going to frame it and I just laughed at them. Putting them up on a wall never even occured to me nor interested me.

Maybe it's because I knew the certs weren't a ticket to a job and that a lot of people don't put a whole lot of weight to them in the industry. Maybe it's because the learning is much more interesting and gives a much greater sense of accomplishment than the cert itself does. I don't really know. I just know that an LPIC-2 or LPIC-3 would mean quite a bit because they would mean I would have a pretty good handle on administering a mixed network securely, and that is a much greater accomplishment than anything I've done so far. It is much more in line with with my overall goals for my career.

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well good luck Freddy, I am certain you are capable of achieving whatever it is your heart desires, regardless of age.

Go for it 8)

15. ffreeloader

I am. I've done quite a few of the things on the list of objectives. I just haven't gone about this as studying for a cert so there are lots of holes as far as cert objectives. I'll get around to all of them sooner or later, bit just takes a lot of time as an LPIC cert of any level, imo, requires a lot knowledge. Almost all of the LPIC certs requires a thorough working knowledge of the bash shell and a lot of the *nix tools.

The bash-related stuff alone takes a lot of time because a lot of *nix tools such as sed, awk, and regular expressions take time to learn well enough that you know all the relevant switches and syntax off the top of your head. At least that takes me quite a bit of time anyway. Maybe not for the young bucks though. They momorize that stuff a lot faster than an old fart like me does.

16. Veteran's son

Thanks for your replies everyone!
    Any other replies and comments would be appreciated! :)

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just found this thread. See what you miss when you go away for a week! :rolleyes:

The Cert that I am most proud of is the only one that I have listed in my profile, that is the MCDST.

The reason for this - It is the only certification that I have ever actually set out to achieve.

Sure I also hold MCSA and other MCP's but I never actually set out to get MCSA as it didn't exist when I started my certifications way back with Windows 98. I just sort of accidently picked it up without realising!

When the MCSDT was released I looked at the requirements and thought, 'I do that every day, it doesn't seem that hard, so why not'. A quick refresher on XP and I was set for the exams (sat the second exam 70-272 the day after it was released).

Aside form the MCDST the exam that I am really proud to have passed was 70-217, Active Directory. I felt that when studying for this exam I learnt more about windows 2000 than I had on any other exam.

8)

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

For me, it is a toss-up between A+ (because it was my first ever IT cert, passed first time) and 70-210 (w2k Pro). I think the latter might just shade it, as getting the MCP status meant a lot to me.

Progress gradually slowed, then stalled completely after that (tho I'm still threatening to do that damn 218 to get MCSA) :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Yeah...for me it's a tie between the A+ because it was the first cert I earned or my CCNA.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Gav you should do 70-218 now, it is probably the easiest exam I have sat. I didn't even study for it. Having said that, I had already passed 70-216 (the beast) and 70-218 covers many of the same topics but in no where near as much detail.

It is a gimme, trust me. I reckon you could do it with just some exam prep software like Transcender. I would never say that about any other Microsoft exam.