Which ISP are you with?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Boycie, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have been a happy customer of Plusnet from day one. Their service has been falling over the last few months and the fact that their e-mail service has *fallen down* from 9 0'clock last night (and is still down now, with no guarantee that data hasn't been lost) is the last straw for me frankly.

Who are you with, for how long and how do they rate in your opinion? Thanks
    Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I'm with Plusnet as well LOL! I was blaming my PC for the email issues before I finally checked the service status on the website. They're now estimating 24 hours before normal service will be resumed :blink
    I was starting to get a bit worried when they pushed all the support onto the website and introduced the premium rate number, then they started to focus on selling their telephony service. I probably should get my finger out and move but its the same old cycle. You're with ISP A that is rapidly going downhill. You've heard ISP B has a good reputation. You move ISPs at the same time as lots of other customers. ISP B can't cope with the demand and starts to go downhill and looks for other ways to make money. You start to look for another ISP and hear about ISP C who apparently has a good reputation....... repeat to fade.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yeah, i get your point, but it is a bit of a poor show. what about the fact that they might not recover the data!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps somebody forgot to change the backup tape. :biggrin

In all seriousness it’s a poor show! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I'm with Blueyonder, and have been for Years.

I have to admit, I love the service, and apart from the times when you lose the connection completely (Probably only about 5 times in as many years) the service is almost faultless.

:thumbleft

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

im with UKOnline - only once it has went down, but it was just not us, it was a few other around my area...

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If you think thats a poor show, I'm with NTL, it'll be easy to find on the internet about their track record.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well im with BT, and i get free antivirus, suplied by norton , whcih is pretty good and has kept my system virus free so far, the spyware aint too brill as i use spybot after warsd and there is still stuff its missed. 2 things i really hate, is the fact i share the connectiopn with the landlady, so i only get 512 instead of 1 meg. The other thing is the BT browser, i may as well have a carrier pigeon , bringing me the script so i could typoe it in my self, its that slow

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I used to be with TalkTalk and despite their reputation, thought their service was great. They lost me as a customer when I had to interact with their callcentre regarding moving house. They got it wrong and then wanted me to wait a month to get it running in the new place. Signed up to Demon, who got a 2mbps (really and truly) unlimited service set up in five days for, IIRC, £18 per month - I was able to decline the offer of a modem which meant it got set up faster. In over six months, I've never had an outage, rarely has my connection been slower than 220kB/s, and I get unlimited email addresses. Also, as far as I can tell, Demon don't bother with traffic shaping if p2p is your thing. Which is nice.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm with ntl as well and never had any problems. Sure it can take a while to get through to customer services but I've never really had any serious issues with them.

I am looking to change to a normal ADSL account with another provider, but that means going over to Sky and getting a BT phone line into the house. Still looking for a good deal on digital TV, phone and broadband.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

I'm with Bulldog and have never been happier. (One of the) fastest connections around, truly unlimited and after a few glitches eons ago, haven't had a single problem.

Unfortunately for ye all, they don't take new customers. :p

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  12. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I'm with NTL, have been for about 5 years and never had a problem with them. Except for the time when the modem stopped working, there tech support line (India) almost abusively blamed my machine as the problem, she was adament that the modem was fine and was not the problem. I took her through all teh troubleshooting steps that I had carried out, and she still wanted me to go through them again, my reply to that was that "It wont make any difference, it's the modem thats at fault", at this point she got amazingly stroppy so I thought I would satisfy her curiosity and go follow her instructions........guess what..........it's didn't work (the words I told you so sprang to mind, but thought better of it as she might of exploded). After 45 Mins on the phone she ended it by saying "it looks like the modem might be faulty, i will arrange for an engineer to call out". AARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!, thats what I told you at the begining of this call.

Derek

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yours truly is with Telewest Blueyonder and has a 10Mb connection and has never been happier. I am so pleased with the service its almost faultless if not completely. Where I thought I was having serious connection problems turned out to be the cable was wearing out when my flatmate kept closing his front room door. So they promptly came round and drilled a hole thru the wall and cable is free of being caught. The connection itself is fantastic, I have had download speeds peaking at 1.25MB/s and 1.5MB/s. Their technical support is certainly first class and I am always smiling after talking to them. In fact a PC mag that I am a subscriber to once did a survey as to who was the No 1 ISP and Telewest came top overall and top in a few of the other catergories namely support and connection (I think! will have to check again!) but I love it so much that if I move house or flat I have to make sure it has Telewest or I aint moving. The way I see it Telewest is now a way of life. If it were upto me I would make sure everyone was on Telewest (hehe...)...its all good...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  14. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, I'm with Charter (being in the States) and I've been with then since they first introduced broadband many years ago. The service has been ok, could be better, could also be a lot worse. Their customer service is horrible. For example.....

I've noticed ofer the last few weeks that the cable light on my modem has dropped a few times every day for a minute or two, then comes back on. So I call Charter to report the issue, and while the guy is looking up my acct info, he informed me that he sees I'm on the 3 meg plan and wants to know if I would like to try their 5 meg plan.

I informed him that I was calling for a service issue, NOT to upgrade my current plan, and since they can't seem to get my 3 meg plan running smooth, then WHY would I want to spend more money for the 5 meg plan and it not work right either?

After a brief silence he informes me to hold a moment and he will get a service tech on the line.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  15. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

Well i think that you should think yourselves lucky!!

I happen to live in one of only about two villages in the country where broadband is not available!! So i am crawling along on virgin dialup!!

Connection drops out pretty much every hour which means downloading anything above 2 meg without a download manager becomes impossible. To make matters worse they just increased the dialup cost to more than their cheapest broadband, and keep calling me up asking me why i don't want to upgrade to broadband!!!!!

BT have been conducting trials for about a year now, promising broadband last september, then january, then april, then july - that's just been extended to at least another 6-8 weeks!! I'm not holding my breath!

Sorry to rant - but try having a 1+ meg plus connection for 4 years then having to go back to dialup!!!!!1

WIP: A+
  16. Big Dave

Big Dave New Member

I'm with BT and just managed to upgrade to Broadband, it took ages as I live on a fairly new estate and they claimed that the new cables they had put down weren't compatible with broadband. My neighbour and I kept on at them for a few months and eventually got it sorted, but it was worth the wait compared with dial up. No issues with service once it was up and running.

WIP: MCAD
  17. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

I once dl'ed a file at 4MB/s, but typically I don't get more than 2MB/s...so yeah, chew on that! :D

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

and what connection u on?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  19. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I'm with Nildram on 8Mbps. Can't fault them been super over 4 years or so. Customer service is top notch.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  20. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Got your e-mail back yet Boyce? Just downloaded mine and I've got 36 pieces of Spam and the test message I sent last night! Wasn't expecting anything important so no idea if they've lost any info.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA