Which Distro?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Phoenix, Jul 13, 2004.

?

Which Linux/BSD distro do yo use/plan on using?

1. Red Hat Fedora

44.0%
  2. Suse Linux

44.0%
  3. Slackware

4.0%
  4. Gentoo

4.0%
  5. Debian

12.0%
  6. FreeBSD

16.0%
  7. OpenBSD

4.0%
  8. NetBSD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other Distro (please list in reply with some reasons)

8.0%
  10. None (please list in reply with some reasons)

8.0%
  1. MattyW

MattyW Bit Poster

I'm still unsure which distro is my favourite. I'm trying to stop using windows altogether. At the moment i'm bouncing between Suse9.3, Ubuntu 5.10 and Redhat 9 (I like it old school) Not really fond of ubuntu as you don't have a root account - I'll be honest, that scares me a little.

Certifications: BSc
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm not an Ubuntu user but iirc it is possible to activate the root account. I think Tripwire knows how to do it as he's a Ubuntu guy.

If you're someone who likes things "old school" just why don't I see Debian in your choice of distro's? :biggrin It's pretty "old school", especially when compared to Suse.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry, Freddy. I've "toyed" with ubuntu but am hooked on Debian (or trying to be). I think Boyce and Zimbo are the hard core ubuntu users around here. I'm still trying to figure out apt-pinning. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ffreeloader

Sorry Trip. I thought I remembered reading one of your posts about how to use the actual root account rather than just the sudo command in Ubuntu.

5. MattyW

MattyW Bit Poster

Just for the record it's

sudo passwd root

But you still can't logon as root. You have do become the superuser by typing "su i" or by doing "sudo <command>"

are you a debian user ffreeloader?

Certifications: BSc
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

LOL. Freddy practically has "Debian" tattooed on his chest. :tongue

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

nobody should ever log in as root anyway, its bad practice, and opens up all kind of nastiness
    so no, its not scary, its just security concious! :)
    I myself disable root logins via SSH anyway, i have to su -i if i want to run any root commands.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I think what they might be saying Phoenix is that in ubuntu, you don't have the option to use su or su - to switch to root. To run commands as root, you *have* to use sudo. It's one of the reasons I don't really use ubuntu. In trying to learn Linux, I want to have an experience that is as "typical" as possible.

9. ffreeloader

Yeah. I have tried Mandrake, Redhat, Slackware, Knoppix, and Debian but have stuck with Debian. I really like it. It's very stable and although it has a few wizards you can configure everything through text files. That gives Debian a tremendous amount of flexibility. I also like it because it is still, even with Gnome or KDE, pretty fast. I have installed it on some pretty old systems (300 mhz Celeron's) and they are still usable. And, as far as I'm concerned it has the best package management system around. Phoenix keeps telling me that Gentoo's is better but I'm not sure. That said, I haven't played with Gentoo yet, I just think it will be really difficult to beat apt-get and dpkg for ease of use, power, and flexibility.