Which distro?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by hkymre, Nov 24, 2006.

1. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

I booted from a Breezy CD then used the upgrade manager to go to Dapper and then Edgy.

Running XP I've had trouble with the onboard USBs as it doesn't see them as 2.0. Wasted a fair bit of time trying to fix them.

I reckon I'll remove all usb connections and see what difference that makes.

Edge

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  2. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

Got it working at the second attempt...

1st atempt - unplugged all the usb/firewire connections and tried again. No joy.

2nd attempted. Changed the on board USBs from usb 2 to usb 1.1 in the bios and I'm now posting this from Edgy.

Thanks for presuading me to have persevere.

Edge

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I have an older gigabyte board that gave me no end of grief with usb problems, both in Win2K and Linux, until about the time the Linux kernel got to 2.6.8. It would hang on boot if I would boot it with any usb peripherals plugged in. I could plug the usb peripherals back in after boot, restart hotplug, and it would work fine, but it would never boot with any usb device plugged in.

The same board, when running Win2K, would just up and lose track of what "class" of peripheral was plugged in. I can't tell you how many clean re-installs of Win2K I did as that was the only fix I ever found for that problem that worked every time I tried it.

I also have a Chaintech motherboard that has lost the ability to recognize any devices plugged into one of the usb ports. I have a small usb hard drive, a usb headphone set, an HP printer, and a 4 port hub plugged into the one usb port that works. The computer will find any device that is plugged into that hub, but it will not run the hard drive and the headset at the same time. If the headset is plugged in first it won't automount the hard drive, even though it shows up as a usb device. If the hard drive is plugged in first I can't use the headset.

I'd always thought that usb was pretty stable and bug free, but after many hours of research into why my Gigabyte board gave me fits I've come to find that usb itself is actually pretty buggy.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1