Which charities do you support and why?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by skulkerboyo, Nov 21, 2008.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Might seem like an odd question but as the title suggests I'm curious as to which charities some of the people on this forum support and why.

I'll Start. Arrythmia Alliance

Reason is quite simple. I have one. Some of you may remember I had heart surgery in september last year to correct it. The op was a miss so I'm back on the waiting list.

I'm considering doing some major fundraising for them next year:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The Red Cross is my main one. When I was in the US I supported the American Red Cross. Now that I'm in the UK I support the British Red Cross. I also support other charities like Oxfam & the NSPCC.

Truth be told, I'm not as active as I use to be :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I always do that little bit more for Cancer Research UK.

Although I wouldn't call myself an active fundraiser by a long shot, I am generous with donations whenver I see or hear of fundraisers. I often get a wierd look from people when getting my money out. Reasoning is the same as many - I lost my aunt to Cancer earlier this year; she was the most helpful, friendly and lovely women you'd ever meet. I honestly feel cheated that she was taken away.

Hey, I guess God needed another Angel, and He would have a hard time finding anyone better then my Aunt.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance gets my support.

It has no government aid or lottery funding - and is an immensely worthwhile charity.

Having seen your charity though Skullerboyo, I will probably start splitting what I raise between yours and the WNAA.

My cousin died earlier this year from SADS - sudden arrhythmic death syndrome - and I was having difficulties finding which charity to contribute to. Thanks for sharing yours - you've helped me massively to finally start helping a charity in her memory.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I'm considering doing a Kilimanjaro Trek for them but find fundraising sooo hard. Myself and some others managed over £7000 for Care international last year. This would be a solo pursuit in terms of fundraising so I'm a bit apprehensive.

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. They need to test for these problems in everyone regardless of whether or not there is reason to suspect its presence

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I support Cynthia Spencer Hospice this is the place where people who are terminally ill from cancer go to be looked after before they pass away.

The reason I do this is because many of my friends and family have passed away from cancer.

The last event I undertook was a 25 Miles bike ride in October this year, which I completed in 1hour 44mins and raised just under £300 :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

The Poppy Appeal, Oxfam & The Queen Elizabeth's Foundation for the Disabled

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  9. Mark L

Mark L Bit Poster

Diabetes UK for the simple reason that I'm a recently diagnosed diabetic myself

WIP: CIW Foundation
  10. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

er...i give at the office :unsure

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

I give to the Poppy Appeal as i work for a housing association that houses the ex-service personnel. They are either elderly from past service or people who are just coming back from current conflicts.

I also donate to Diabetes UK as my parents are both diabetic.

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Large, organized ones, none, really... at least, not on a regular basis. Most of them don't make good or efficient use of the money. I was absolutely livid when I found out how my United Way September 11th donation was misspent.

When I want to truly help a cause, I donate my money and/or time... particularly those that are offered through my church. When a tornado ripped through a university here in Tennessee, our church took a donation to help their efforts, and several of us went to help them clean up. When a need was made known about the poor in Appalachia, my wife decided to directly assist a group who provides necessities for them. As many of you know, I went overseas to teach English to people in a poor area of East Asia. So, we give... just not to traditional charities.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Do any of the Air Ambulance services get funding? It is crazy because they are a life or death service in a lot of cases, a guy up the road from me did the petrol on garden fire trick and instead of the 30 minute drive to a local hospital that wouldnt have been properly equipped, he went to a birmingham hospital which would take maybe an hour by road, and it took about 10 mins in the chopper, plus its a lot smoother.

I think the problem with the air ambulance is that most people only appreciate it after requiring it or having someone you know require it.

I don't reguarly give to charities but if I watch a program on the telly like socceraid or something then the least I can do is drop them 15-20 quid.

WIP: A+
  15. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I give to schizophrenia research for selfish reasons (I have it). I generally avoid large charities where I don't know where the money goes. I've learned from personal experience that giving to food banks or giving X-mas gifts to at risk kids usually doesn't work out so well. I only recommend giving to those charities if you know for sure that the recipients will actually get and keep the food/gifts and not resell them for more booze/drugs.

With my business I like to give to local charities as I feel you can't take money out of a community without putting some back in. This year I'm giving a Dell mini 9 netbook to the student with the best attendance record at the local high school. We do our best to support local events and programs.

One of the things I've started doing this year is offering free computer skills training for women who have left abusive relationships and are re-entering the workforce. I get them comfortable using computers, the Net, and the basics of office suites. I also provide references for job hunting.

Worth mentioning: I never allow my daughter to collect funds for Unicef at Halloween. She came home with a box again this year and I sent it back with a blistering note to her teacher. This is why.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs