WHICH CERTIFICATIONS?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by oludallas, Dec 12, 2007.

1. oludallas

oludallas New Member

I finished my B Sc in Information System 2004. I have not really work for any major IT company. I am confuse on which certification to take. I currently work for Sprint Nexel as a Technical Support and only earn $15hr. I don't have any certification. I want a job that will pay me at least $18 to start. I sign up for a CCNA class Jan 2008. I am still not sure where to start on certifications. Can you please advice me on where to start? I want to go through Cisco route. But where should i start when it comes to getting certifications withing the IT field?

Thanks

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Ummm.... Maybe if you posted the exact same message in another 10 or 15 forums someone might see it..... :rolleyes:

Cross posting is considered rude behavior. If you would use the Active Topics menu at the top of the Certforums pages you would realize how strange it looks to see the same exact post repeated in forum after forum.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

With no experience, even with certifications, it'll be difficult finding an $18/hr job just starting out in IT. There's good money to be made in IT... but only after you've built experience. It won't take too long to surpass your current $15/hr.

The CCNA is a mid-level certification for experienced techs who are just getting their feet wet with Cisco technology. As a result, I'd not recommend it to someone just starting out in IT.

So where should you start? If you read the other posts on here, most everyone recommends starting with the A+. Then continue with the Network+ and MCDST certifications. This will give you a good advantage when starting out in IT. After you've built a few months of experience, you can consider pursuing other certifications.

Freddy's right - cross posting isn't helpful, to us or to you... responses will get scattered amongst your posts, and things will be repeated multiple times. Post once, and just about everyone will see. :)

Hope this helps! And welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!