Which Cert to Start with?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ButtersIT, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ButtersIT

ButtersIT New Member

I am leaving the RAF and have been given an oppurtunity to do any one of the following certs for £250. (The RAF Learning credits pay for the rest). I am looking for advice on what the best would be to start with?

The following courses are available at the course package price above including exams, courseware and hands-on training required;

Any one Microsoft MCP or MCTS course we provide. Examples are MCTS inVista, MCP in Server 2003, MCP in Exchange Server 2003.
    Either Cisco CCENT (ICND I) or ICND II toward the CCNA qualification.
    Any one of our CompTIA training courses. Example CompTIA A+, Network+ or Security+
    Any one (of 3) Certified Internet Webmaster courses. Example Foundation, Designer or E-Commerce.

Thanks

Butters

Certifications: GCSE ICT, AVCE ICT
    WIP: ECDL,N+,MCSE
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The answer to that entirely depends on what it is you want to do. Can you give us more details on what area of IT you actually want to get into?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. ButtersIT

ButtersIT New Member

Mainly looking towards networking and a job in 1st/2nd line support. Also have the chance to do ECDL for free, is it worth the time though?

4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Is it ECDL or one of the other certs/exams, or ECDL plus any of the others? It also depends on your experience. If you have IT experience coming out of your ears, then ECDL may be too 'basic' for you.

5. ButtersIT

ButtersIT New Member

Its going to be the ECDL plus any of the others and from what I have seen the ECDL is very basic. Also I want to go into the networking side but am unsure which route I should take Microsoft or Cisco? Whats the difference and is one accepted more than the other?

6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It depends. Cisco certification = Cisco kit. Microsoft certification = Microsoft Kit. Both are useful in their own way dependant upon what type of hardware your employer (or future employer) uses.

Bear in mind you'll need hands-on experience working with such hardware before you'll be let anywhere near any kit though. :)

If I were you I'd build up a base of qualifications and experience to show you're competant and confident working in a 1st line support role (I'm assuming you have no prior experience/qualification in the field of IT). In order to progress to higher levels (such as network admin) then you'll find such experience invaluable - people work their way up the IT ladder, so to speak, and generally don't just jump straight to a higher level role.

I'd highly recommend getting both CompTIA A+ and Network+ if at all possible (in order of preference if you can only pick one). After that then it's up to you. You could go the CISCO route and get your CCENT or go for something such as the MCDST qualifications. (If you don't wish to do a course for these certifications then they're all totally achievable via self-study also.)

Have a dig around the different sections of the forums - I'm sure you'll find what you need.

Hope this helps. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. rahul786

rahul786 New Member

I really want to get into the 1st Line Support, i was told. A+ Comptia, Then MCDST then i go job hunting. End goal is being a consultant. I know this is thinking too far ahead.

Which Route Step by step should i take in order to become a IT Consultant?

How do i go about taking these exams, self study, how often do these exams happen?