Which book - 291

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by ste28, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ste28

ste28 Nibble Poster

I have two books at my disposal. Can you guys advise which is best ? I need to resit this exam and gonna crack it next time round ! (i hope)

1. ExamInsight by TotalRecall Press

2. MCSA / MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit by Microsoft Press

Cheers

Certifications: MCSE 2003
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I used the MS Press book mate.

Also try and use some more resources if you can, I used technet and also created a lab with a few servers to test some of examples in the 70-291 book.

Lab work:
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14156&page=2

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. ste28

ste28 Nibble Poster

Thanks for your response Sparky on this and for other posts ive submitted : )

Certifications: MCSE 2003
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No probs mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Sparky, thanks for the link to the other post... that's some awesome information. I'm just finishing up a few other classes/exams at the moment, and then 70-291 will be my next step, so it is nice to see what you did to pass.

Thanks!!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  6. Corsair

Corsair Nibble Poster

Which book did you use to prepare the first time you took the test?

Im taking this test soon and Im using a compilation of different sources:
    70-291 Traiking Kit, MSPress
    Windows Server 2003 Inside Out, MSPress
    MCSE Core Requirements in a nutshell by Stanek
    Technet Articles
    Pretty much any whitepaper that I can find and read about the objectives....

Plus of course, my work lab.

Certifications: MCSA, MCTS, Security+, Network+
    WIP: CCNA
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I still think the MS press book would be right on the money for this one as that's what am using at the moment. I am also using the preplogic study guide and tech net too. Best wishes and lets know how you're getting on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

make sure that you get the hands on practice aswell.

the ms press book is good, but no book is good enough on its own.

8)

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I found the Sybex book very good for the 291. Hands on experience of the main topics is essential for this exam though. Especially if you want to be able to properly undestand DNS, RRAS etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Of the two you've mentioned, I'd recommend MS Press. Never even heard of Exam Insight.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Second that, also its a good idea as others have said to get VMware on your machine, get a couple of 30/60/90 day server 2003 and windows xp trials installed on there and just practice (i spent most of my time in RRAS as thats what id never used due to companies i work for prefering alternative methods, and WSUS is another one to look out for, downloadable on ms website - you will need to use nat or physical lan for net connection to make this work in vmware),

Also just as an example I used 3 vlans 1 server on vlans 1&2 (2 virtual nics one on each network), 1 server on vlan 2&3 (as before) and an xp workstation on VLan3 for playing with DHCP relay and ospf/rip and a few other bits and pieces.

Most of the DNS stuff you can achieve with one server, apart from replication, stub zones and delegation, then its handy to have 2, whether you put these on one vlan is up to you, good idea to start with one vlan just to keep things simple as you go along.
    The same is true for DHCP, 2 virtual machines on one subnet or vlan is sufficient.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal