Where's the best place to start?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shinealite, Jul 24, 2009.

1. shinealite

shinealite New Member

I have no formal computing background so therefore no qualifications. Is there anybody out there who could point me in the best direction for training? Where do I start? what's the best course to take? what qualifications should I be looking at? I know I will have to start from the very bottom and also know that the training will take a few years, I am not looking for one of those "teach yourself computing in 30 days" courses. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatfully appreciated.

Certifications: None
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

First of all, what field of IT do you want to get into? Support, Web development, programming, Database Admin, etc?

If it's support, then the Comptia A+, Comptia Network+ and the MCDST are great places to start with.
    If it's Databases, then the CMA from MySQL is a nice entry level cert.
    If it's web development, check out w3schools and the CIW programs.
    If it's programming, check out your local colleges and see if they do any C&G certs in programming.

Everyone will have there own routes, the above are just an idea of where to get started.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. shinealite

shinealite New Member

would these qualifications be recognised abroad? as my ultimate aim is to get qualifications and then emigrate to NZ

Certifications: None