where to start

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by minimonkey, May 13, 2009.

1. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Howdy & sorry for the super long absence - I've had a crazy few months =) new house, new job BLEGH

So anyways I'm sure this has been asked before but here i go.

Where do i start looking for starting a new career in web design or digital design or in genreral? I love Paintshop/photoshop but I know sod all about website design, programming or any of that. I've got a full time job so i'm looking for summat that i can fit round my job. I've heard a lot of these 'training' companies are rip-off merchants so i'm wondering if there are any do-it-from-home courses that are any good or any books that are worth looking at?

Also are there any places where you can display your stuff? I've designed some desktop backgrounds and would like to share them. And how would i go about getting copyright on my stuff.

Sorry 4 the super long post but I've bugger all idea where to start. The only arty quals i've got are any A level in art an Alevel in graphic design & a foundation degree in art&design. Can't afford 2 go back to uni so i was wondering if there are any other avenues.

PHEW!:oops:

Ps i bloody love this site

WIP: A+ N+ MCP
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you are interested in Web design, you can look at 3schools as a starting point. Other certs that you may be interested in would be the CIW route and the Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) route.

Programming, while it can be linked with Web design is a different field of IT. Take at look at the OU, for example, or your local college to see if they offer distance learning/home study/evening classes in programming.

One thing to note, that unlike support, the above two lean more towards a portfolio rather than certs (that's not to say that certs are unimportant, it's just there's a higher value associated to the portfolio).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently working on a portfolio but i think I have a long way to go! Its nice to know I don't need to go back to full-time education to do this.

WIP: A+ N+ MCP