Where to start??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ZippoD, Jun 2, 2006.

1. ZippoD

ZippoD New Member

Hi, im 21 years old and have been trying to get a job in i.t for some time now. The problem is that i have no formal i.t qualifications or experiance. I have a good knowlege of pc hardware, networking and xp.
    I just have a few newbie questions.
    I know i need to start at the very bottom and work my way up but im lost at where to start?
    Are there any certifications that should be done first?

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi, welcome aboard.

If you have decided IT is for you, i would get yourself an old PC to work on (break and refix) and a A+ Study guide.
    If you decide IT is for you, then you can study for the exams.
    As for the job, you need to keep looking at the jobcentre and agencies. Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. ZippoD

ZippoD New Member

sorting an old pc to mess with is no probs. Ive been building my own rigs for years now and have enough bits to prob make a few. Ive been living and breathing computers since i was 11, but ive found it very difficult to find a starting point.
    Most jobs are asking for 2 years experiance at entry level, and im always just getting a flat out no.
    Are the A+ exams quite expencive?
    Could anybody recomend some good books to start on the A+?
    Sorry if these have come up before.

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Zippo. Have a look here for some info on the costs of self studying the A+ and other qualifications.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. ZippoD

ZippoD New Member

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, i will definately look at bying those books.
    Are there any free practice exams around that i could do just to test my knowlege?

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Check out the A+ forum too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

The certs you want to be starting off with are A+ then Network+ these will give you a good grounding of IT. From there you can move onto the MCDST or if you really feel confident then try for a MCSA eventually going onto doing the MCSE.

As for finding a job it's difficult but then again so is finding most good jobs these days. You will have to start off as a low paid junior (Unless your very lucky) and work your way up. If you can afford to then maybe doing some voluntary work will really help as it's seen as experience by potential employers. If not then I would suggest looking online at places like CWjobs and monster and maybe sign upto local agencies (Though I've never been fond of agencies as they are more interested in filing their nailes then my CV). The point is it's difficult breaking into IT but if you want it enough then you just have to keep plugging away till someone gives you a job.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good Post :thumbleft

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+