Where to go?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Jaron78, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi All,

Just wondered if I could pick some brains.
    Currently hold the A+ and MS MCP (70-217) certs, working towards the N+.
    The plan was to complete the MCDST then upgrade that to the Windows 7 cert. However, failing the MCDST on the last day of June has put the dampners on that.

Im working in a Helpdesk role 1st/2nd line and plan on being at the company for a while. I have full access to CBT Nuggets through work and I am currently looking at Citirx (as it will be needed in the new role).

Certifications wise, I am at a bit of a cross roads and not sure where to go. Do I work towards the MCSE (after N+) or towards a MCITP.

I am looking to progress from 2nd Line onto 3rd line support in the distant future but I dont want to go off on some crazy Certification route that an employer would look at on a CV and think WTF.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I suppose it depends on the technologies that you are using or expecting to use in the near future.
    If you are just starting out, I personally feel that MCITP gives you more flexibility. MCSE is a big bulky cert and it seems that electives are dropping off the track as exams retire. On the other hand, if Server 2003 is your 'thing' it might be the one to aim for.

That having been said, MCSE isn't really something you'd expect first line support to have so you need to plan accordingly.

The best thing to focus on at the moment is probably just getting as familiar as you can with the tech that you're using. Ultimately that's what's going to get you promoted in the short term - not what certs you have.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Jaron78

Thanks Jonny. As I said, working with Citrix at the moment so really finding that interesting. Seems like we will be using if for the long term so considered Network+ then Citrix Certified Admin as it will be used day in day out.

Thanks for the input :)

4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

the pub :D

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. Jaron78

Good Call Al :)

Well I have decided, going to complete the Network+ first, then look at Windows 7 - 70-680 and 70-685.
    Once those have been done......Im not sure but at the moment, thats where I am going to start I think.