Where to find Server 2003 installation?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wires_are_bad, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

We've recently acquired an additional license for Windows Server 2003 - but the installation CD is longer sent out, instead it's downloaded (after registering the license agreement online).

I can't seem to find a download for Windows Server 2003 though, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction?

I'm not too familiar with the various guises of Server 2003 (R2, etc) but we have Windows Server 2003 standard edition installed on all of our other servers (DC and file servers).

I'm going to be upgrading a Windows 2000 server to 2003 and then install WSUS 3.0 - I haven't done this for a while though! I've backed up the entire server (files and system state) using NTBACKUP so can always roll back if there are any problems. When installing, is there an option to carry across the data onto the new OS install and will I have to overwrite the existing OS?

Cheers.

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If this is on a volume license then ask your supplier for a media kit which is the CD - cost about 20 quid

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Wires_are_bad

It is a volume license but the reseller has said that they don't send out a CD anymore and we must download the OS instead!

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can they supply a link? As said you can buy a media kit if you want on DVD or CD depending on the product.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Sorry, but that is not correct. It is true that you don't automatically get a cd anymore. That's why you buy a media kit to go with the license.

I suggest you look at http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/training.mspx and ring the helpline number if you're having probs. You'll need to know the volume lic details for your company and that will specifiy which server version has been bought.

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

OK, just checked the Partner site which I still have access to.

Looks like with Server 2008 they may have changed the volume licensing and Server 2003 is no longer available as a direct option.

If your volume lic says you have Server 2008 Standard then you have downgrade rights to Server 2003 R2 Standard or to Server 2003 Standard or to 2000 Server. Specifically it says in the FAQ :

Do I have to order special media in order to exercise my downgrade rights ?

No. You may use your existing media to run older versions of the server software. If you no longer have the media for the version you wish to run, you can re-order it through your normal fulfillment channels, e.g. worldwide.

For more infor go to : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/howtobuy/licensing/

I would suggest as per my prev post - have your lic details to hand, call the lic helpline and sort from there.

HTH

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If you already have 2003 servers in your network then I take it you have something to install them from?

If not then just contact your reseller and purchase a media kit (as the others have also suggested).

They're full of BS if they tell you it's only available via download.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Wires_are_bad

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. In the end, the reseller finally mentioned they can provide a media kit...but it turns out they made an error on their end with the license so now Server 2003 is downloadable from their site :rolleyes::p

I've since downloaded the ISO files and burned them to disc in preparation for the upgrade. It's been a while since I've upgraded a server OS so I was wondering if I could get some advice?

The server has two partitions, the primary with the OS (Server 2000) including the program files, and then a data partition. Now if I install 2003 and overwrite the existing partition, will the existing programs be migrated over?

I remember using a server migration utility when I upgraded a server in the past, so I guess it's not as straight forward as I'm hoping it to be :D

I've created an image of the current OS and also backed up the files/settings/system state using NTbackup so I can always roll back if their are any problems.

9. Sparky

Yes, the programs will be migrated over.

What software is currently installed? Have you checked compatibility with Server 2003?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

11. Wires_are_bad

Many thanks for the links.

The server only has one application on it along with a sql that provides the back end database - but it's not really used so its new role will be to run WSUS.

Thinking about it, I've only ever migrated from one physical server to another so an upgrade should be a little more simple I'm hoping :p

12. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

NOTE: To upgrade from server 2000 to server 2003, you need to run adprep/forestprep on the DC that holds the schema operation master role and also run adprep/domainprep on the DC that holds the infrastructure operation master role. Visit, then on the the left hanside of the page below related links, under the download heading click on the word document file(the paper highlights the many ways Windows Server 2003 was designed to allow for an easy upgrade from Windows 2000)to download it

R2 is just an addition to the windows server 2003 core for added functionalities. Normally R2 is installed when you download server 2003 SP1

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Already linked him to this m8 !

D'oh ! :lolbang

14. Wires_are_bad

Does this need to be done on a member server?

edit: I've read through the documentation again and it only mentions to run adrep on a DC upgrade. This is just a member server so I guess it doesn't need to be done?

15. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

You have already demoted the member server which means that it no longer has a copy of the directory database so that wont be carried out on a member server

16. Wires_are_bad

Sorry you confused me - your answer is slightly ambiguous!

You mentioned to run adrep before the intall - the documentation says that this only needs to be done on a domain controller.

Are you now saying that this doesn't have to be done on member servers? The server in question has never been a domain controller which is why I'm slightly confused about your post :blink

17. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

I believe you have seen my last post prior to this... Let me still clarify you, a member server is no longer a DC because once you run dcpromo on a DC you actually remove the active directory that you have already installed using this same command dcpromo. if the other DC will remain in the domain it becomes a member server but if that DC is the last DC on the domain it becomes a standalone server this implies that a standalone or member server IS NO longer a DC becuase it does not have copy of the directory database hence schema(forest-wide) operations master and infrastructure(domain-wide) operations master role which are both 2 out of the 5 operations master does not exist anymore on them, therefore you are not supposed to run adprep/forestprep and adprep/domainprep

18. Wires_are_bad

Thanks for clarifying :biggrin. We have two DC's in our organisation, the server that I'm upgrading is just a lowly member server (that isn't really being used at the moment) so I haven't run dcpromo to demote it.

19. Sparky

Just run the OS upgrade mate, you dont need to worry about dcpromo or adprep etc. 8)

20. Sparky

No it isnt. R2 is an add on but you have to pay for an upgrade if you already have standard or enterprise edition before R2 came out. You cant just download it.