Where should I be looking?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bazzawood30, Feb 15, 2011.

1. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

I'll send you a PM with the companies.

2. suicide

suicide Bit Poster

I passed my CCNA 4 months ago but still unable to find any employment. I have applied for entry level jobs such as an IT technician at local schools but no luck. I have asked them why and they seem to say I am over qualified. Plus it was a trainee position. All they wanted was basic level 2 qualiifcations. Since then I have started my mcitp windows 7. What else to you recommed I do?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

bazza i have applied for over 250 jobs in the past month and not had an interview yet! :D
    keep clicking!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Remove your CCNA.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Agreed. Even if you get the interview because of CCNA being on your CV, the first question at the interview is going to be: "What Cisco experience do you have?"

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. suicide

suicide Bit Poster

If I remove my CCNA, my CV will have no certifications to show what I have been doing in the last year. What can I put in there, without my CCNA

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

That's up to you to cover to be honest. I can't tell you what to put on your CV, I'm just suggesting that your CCNA is likely to be causing you issues getting jobs (as you have already seen). The only way to get around that, is to remove it from your CV.

Surely you must have been working somewhere over that year?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Luke and Fergal are correct. The CCNA is a certification that indicates to an employer that you know how to administer Cisco devices. However, entry-level jobs have nothing to do with administering Cisco devices, so having the CCNA on your CV will make you look overqualified.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. suicide

suicide Bit Poster

When I finished college, I never went to uni and I decided to start my CCNA. So looks like I will be heading to uni next year. In the meantime I will start to gain more certifications such as the microsoft ones.

I will remove the CCNA from my CV and see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A degree isn't required for entry-level jobs, either. Piling on degrees and more certifications isn't going to fix the problem of you looking overcertified... if anything, it's liable to make it worse.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't pursue a degree... but I am saying that you shouldn't pursue a degree just to try to get into IT, because it's not required for entry-level jobs. By all means, pursue your degree... but don't do it at the expense of working in IT. Someone with four years of real-world IT experience will be much more attractive to an employer than someone with a four year degree and no experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. suicide

suicide Bit Poster

I have to agree with you there. But if I cannot find any work I am better off getting an education. With a degree there is a chance of getting some work experience in the final year, but the chances are slim. The job market is dry at the moment. I've seen over 100 applications for an entry level IT Job.