Where do you buy your hardware from

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AJ, Aug 22, 2004.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I shop around on the net a lot for parts.

I've used...

www.microdirect.co.uk
    www.quietpc.co.uk
    www.frozencpu.com
    www.ebuyer.co.uk
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.scan.co.uk

among many others....

I also use the G/fs Bro as he runs his own shop. He's not always the cheapest (even with family discount) but he is 5 mins away if anything goes wrong, can get most stuff next day... and if the G/f beats him round the head with a mbo i can get a lil more discount :) . Plus he has trade accounst with quietpc and Zalman!.

One i wont be using again is www.westavon-systems.co.uk. I ordered a keyboard from there cos it was £5 cheaper than anywhere else. However it was not shown as being out of stock on thier site, 10 days after placing order it was shown as being despatched and yet 2 weeks later i still havent got it. And this is despite ringing them and emailing them about it. SO far i've had no replies.... So as with anything else i spose its a case of BUYER BEWARE!!! and i got stung!.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I mainly use www.aria.co.uk now. I have used dabs, ebuyer and novatech in the past.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. springbackhoolie

springbackhoolie New Member

Hi

If you ring the Freephone no for Misco they can tell you where your nearest shop/warehouse is. They always have some interesting deals in-store that you dont see on their website.

http://misco.co.uk/

Ian.

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

@Twizzle, I had a very similar problem with company last year. I emailed them (with a hard copy via recorded delivery) to say if I hadn't had a reply in three days I would be mounting legal action to recover my money. Guess who phoned later that afternoon...

You just have to get tough sometimes, why should you lose out finacially for someone else's inefficiencies?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

OK I got to add my two pence.....

I set out by searching the net for the product I want (spenind hours looking!), looking in every nook and cranny, after this I will end up buying the said item from Ebuyer!! I do like taking a peek at Scans 'Today Only' page though. You can sometimes find a REAL bargain, such as a server case selling for £300 elsewhere down to £165 on a today only deal :biggrin we like, we like alot!!

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  6. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I buy a great deal of my stuff from ZipZoomFly.com. I'd buy from NewEgg.com, but since they have a business presence in Tennessee, I have to pay TN sales tax, thereby increasing my cost.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

what's the difference in sale tax over there. In the UK we pay VAT (value added tax) @ 17.5%

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

ebuyer is my main supplier followed by pcwb (they do have some great deals). I find dabs and others not great value. SVP is good for he occasional pen drive. I am too disappointed with Novatech especially their own brand items.

For me the first choice is ebuyer.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If my past experience is anything to go by an American would detonate with fury at such a high sales tax....

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No national sales tax. State sales tax applies to individuals who reside in the same state as a company with a business presence in that state. For example, I don't pay sales tax to ZipZoomFly because they don't have a business presence in Tennessee. However, Dell, Buy.com and NewEgg.com have offices and/or distribution warehouses in Tennessee, so Tennessee residents have to pay sales tax to those companies.

Tennessee sales tax is at 9.25%. Compared to the rest of the country, that's pretty high, but Tennessee has no state income tax (we do have federal income tax, which applies nationally). There is also a local sales tax component, but not all locations have a local sales tax, and for those that do, it's quite small - usually less than a percent.

Only a few states have no sales tax, and only a few states have no state income tax.

Yeah, we'd cry bloody murder at a 17.5% VAT, but perhaps we pay more other places... not sure if you guys have property taxes or national income taxes or any other levies.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

We have plenty of taxes, including the two mentioned
    Income Tax can be as high as 40% on anything over 33k

But we do obviously still have a free nationalised healthcare system and other such benefits from it all

also its mandatory to list the total price including VAT on consumer products, something i had to get used to in the states was everything seems 'cheaper' than it really is due to the sales tax that gets whacked on, i think it was only 5% in ID so it wasnt too bad either way

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I buy my stuff at where ever sell the best quality stuff for the lowest price.

Our tax system sucks, but I couldnt do it the US way I'd loose half my receipt and get done by Inland Revenue (IRS in US)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. DarBroLtd

DarBroLtd Guest

I used to use www.overclockers.co.uk because they carried the brand in components I use and are competative in pricing. I got tired of waiting in long queues though since they are local to me (no point in postage charges) so went looking for other suppliers.

Now deal largely with www.scan.co.uk who have good pricing, huge selection and most importantly they carry the brands I deal in.

15. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  16. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

af'noon all,

I buy my stuff from 3 main suppliers aslweb.biz, microdirect and occasionally (for small stuff) ebuyer. I also trust the quality of goods and service in that order.

Doesnt the national insurance contribution we pay go towards the NHS.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I mainly buy my stuff from aria, have used novatech and dabs in the past as well and used ebuyer once.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  18. JoshC

JoshC Bit Poster

19. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  20. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I mainly use Ebuyer, not many problems and when I do they easily fix them. I've also used Scan in the past, but they tend to have bigger delivery costs.
    Just bought a PC for my brother from Eclipse, so I will see how that goes :s Very cheap though.