Where Am I Going Wrong?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zom414, Feb 9, 2009.

1. zom414

zom414 Bit Poster

I left the Army a couple of months ago and took some courses as part of my resettlement which qualified me as an MCSA. I already had A+/Network+ before leaving. Since then though I've been having real trouble trying to get my foot on the IT ladder. I've had 1 interview for an IT job but loads for admin jobs (mainly worked in admin in the army). I'm working now in an admin position but really want to leave and go into IT. I have applied for loads but never seem to get anywhere. All I'm looking for is an entry level position, don't really need something too high cos I have a decent pension from the army.

Anyone give me any pointers on what I should be doing? I use agencies round my area and get the odd call from them now and again.

Certifications: A+,N+,70-291,70-290,70-620,CCNA,MCSA
    WIP: Security+, Exchange, Active Dir
  2. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

Hi mate i have only just left and having the same trouble (ex Royal Marine) , you just gotta keep trying im afraid or get some of the people on here to look at your cv have you tried sites such as
    serco
    la international
    Atco (its canadian but they do take British on)
    Its mainly ex forces that work there.

There is the usuall agencies as well
    Monster
    Reed
    CW Jobs
    Allegis
    Fusion People

One thing that you might have going for you is that you are security cleared, if not it is defo worth a check.

Best of luck

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Looking at your certifications you appear to be way over qualified for an entry level position.

I would remove the MCSA and CCNA from your CV if it is on it and leave A+, N+ and the 70-620 MCTS: Vista.

If your not reciveing calls from recruitment companies for IT work then it is most likely your CV which is letting you down.

You need to adjust your CV completley so that it is IT biased and that it atracts you to a potential employer.

For some pointers on CV's go to the Employment & Jobs section and you will see a few peoples CV's on there, have a look you might get some ideas to revise your own.

Next register with www.cwjobs.co.uk, www.jobserve.co.uk and www.reed.co.uk upload your CV and create some job alerts and start applying.

Good luck!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

With your qualifications and considering that you're not looking for a high wage due to pension. Have you thought about checking out the County Councils website regarding vacancies for IT personnel in schools? Some IT Tech jobs in schools can be part-time & part year (in some cases), so the salary would be pro-rata, hence not too high...

Just a thought :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security