When do I start looking for my first job in IT?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Daft Lass, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Daft Lass

Daft Lass Bit Poster

Yes its me again.My head is killing me from trying to decide how to study - self study or training course?????? I think I've decided with self study at the mo ( but all that could change, me being a woman and all that?!)

However,I have definately decided to make that all important career change and begin studying for my A+.

I appreciate that experience is one of the best sellers when going for an interview, however when do I have enough qualifications to start looking for a job thats going to develope my skills? And what type of job should I be looking at doing?

All answers on a postcard please......just going for a paracetomol and a beer.....!:blink

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCSA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Entry-level jobs are for people entering the field. After all, that's what "entry-level" means... you are entering the IT career field. Meaning, experience is not required (otherwise, it wouldn't be an entry-level position, would it?). Obviously, people with experience will always be preferred... but entry-level jobs don't (or at least, shouldn't) require any experience.

So, to answer your question... technically, you probably have the qualifications for an entry-level IT job. The A+ certification (which is designed for people without real-world experience) would certainly help distinguish yourself from your competition.

What sort of jobs can you get without experience? Help desk is a place that many people start, but that's not your only option. I started many years ago as a field service tech, doing contract jobs for our company's customers. Some people start as a tech at a computer repair shop (such as CompUSA or BestBuy here in the States). Others find their job calling accidentally when they're asked to help support computers at their company even though it's not their primary job function... and it eventually becomes their job (this actually happened to me before my first "real" IT job. So the paths to an IT career are many and varied.

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Daft Lass

Daft Lass Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice!

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCSA
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Daft Lass,

You can start by researching companies near you that you might like to work for. Then start doing some research of the companies themselves. Research stuff like: 1) Company founding date 2) Company founders names 3) Current CEO 4) Current company headquarters location/address 5) The local office relationship to company headquarters 6) anything else to be found out. Save your research into a word processed document that you could take with you to the interview.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA