When calculating CIDR do you put pen to paper?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Juelz, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Im learning IP addressing for the first time as I pretty much only really knew about host and network IDs. And Ive moved onto CIDR (which I still need alot more practice on) and I can only really calculate it with pen and paper.. Im wondering if you wizkids and mathematical geniuses can do this all from head? Ive only just learnt binary also, looked complicated and took me sometime to find a method that worked best for me and now its a breeze. Im going to have to getup to speed on IP addressing as I need to know it for work.

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I recommend having a look at Todd Lammle's CCENT book if you're learning to subnet. After reading that I find it really easy to do it all in my head. All about the powers of 2.

3. Pseudonym

Edit: Double post

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No... Pen, paper and calculator for me, haha :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks purchased it!

6. Pseudonym

Cool. Let me know how you get on with it.

7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Will do, I purchased it as an ebook, not read it yet as waiting for my new ipad to arrive!