Whats the biggest mistake you’ve made at work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I once took down a companies email and no one could get email for a few hours. I laugh about it now tbh but I was worried at the time.. funny thing is I acknowledged it before anyone else did. I was randomly thinking about the issues Id dealt with that day and realised the steps I carried out on one issue would have meant no one would get email. Flew back into work to fix it.. shocked no one clocked on tbh but it was a small company of around 40 people if that.

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

How long have you got ha ha. I don't think I have made any monumental mistakes...that I am aware of, I do own up as that is the best way to be fair and I think people respect you more for admitting that you have messed up.

I do make ill judged comments to be fair, when I was first starting out and some staff we having trouble with Active directory and I found out that our set up was a bit all over the place, I did ask if we could start all over again with AD ha ha ha

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I kicked off a VMware snapshot once of an Exchange server I was about to run Windows Updates on. In those days reverting an Exchange server to a snapshot would be really bad (I think it's less bad these days?), but it didn't matter because I also hadn't understood the way VMware snapshots work, so I filled up the host's disks in no time flat and took down email for a bit longer than originally promised, also I had to wake up two senior engineers to fix it for me. I have been punished for these sins by having to wake up and fix similar nonsense myself many times in the years since :(

And I once remotely patched and bounced an elderly SBS server on the last workin day of the year after all the users had gone home. I understand it was revivied on lke the 3rd of Jan when somebody was finally able to press the F1 key. Most of my worst mistakes have caused a company to lose email for a while.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Great thread idea ha ha. My first IT job was on IBM mainframes. I left a semi colon off the end of a message to my friend sat to my right, on OS390 saying “game over man” (aliens fan). Another guy to my left said ha ha very funny! To my horror, leaving a semi colon off the message command sends it to every user. In this case a few hundred!
    That’s not the scary part. I was this close to saying something like urgh I can’t be bothered tonight (we worked nights). Could have been a short career that’s for sure. I got off with a minor telling off about syntax :S

PS @FlashDangerpants snaphots are indeed much improved from the old days ha ha (I work for them :))

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Juelz likes this.
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hahaha brilliant!

JK2447 likes this.
  6. bestazy

bestazy Bit Poster

My first job ever was back in 1992 at a computer shop. My job was to build PCs to customer specs. Someone else picked out all the parts, handed them off to me, and I assembled them.

At the time, the most expensive CPU we had was the Intel 486-DX2 66 at about $800 each, and I remember getting my hands on it for the first time. This was also the days before the ZIF-sockets (Zero Insertion Force, meaning we had to jam those things into place). Well, I put it in wrong. So I had to peel it out and try again. Ended up bending every single pin getting it out, and rendering it unusable.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Oh nightmare. What happened? Did your employer have to pay for a new one? Do you still do that sort of work or was that the beginning of the end for that chapter ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Biggest mistake that I did was formatting the finance server that held the finance database (of course) during a financial audit... To make matters worse the server wasn't being backup... (We moved the financial system to a new server, however the clients redirect didn't work for months so it was still writing to the old server, never noticed), luckily I managed to recover the database within a few hours... This didn't happen recently, haha... About 15 years ago, give or take, practically new to the organisation, and new to the position...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    JK2447 likes this.
  9. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Dated someone. She turned out to be an absolute Psycho! Both in and out of the office.

JK2447 likes this.
  10. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yeah, but was the sex any good?

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    Kitkatninja likes this.
  11. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Meh!

12. chartered

chartered Bit Poster

haha, men are men! well, that would be definitely the biggest mistake you’ve made lol