Whats better, HTML or FLASH

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by nellyp123, Sep 17, 2008.

1. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I thought i would open this thread because i noticed a few people slag flash off a bit and i wondered what other people may think.

Personally, i have been studying flash and Actionscript for quite a while now and even though i learn't xhtml/css first, i still think flash is more fun and rewarding then xhtml/css. There seems to be a bit of a shortage of flash developers to (only from what i have heard?).
    So...what's better? if flash is the answer then what will happen to good old html??? :blink

Certifications: CIW Professional
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

As much as I like what's technically possible with flash (pretty colours and all that) I still prefer HTML.

...Maybe it's an old school making webpages with notepad kind of nostalgia.

X-HTML is a mixed bag. Strict is evil. Transitional is lovely.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

XHTML for me never been a fan of the whole flash website, don't get me wrong i like flash for cetain things but would never make a site fully in flash(I love my text editor too much :blink)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

To reach the widest possible audience in terms of platforms and user preference, HTML has it over flash. Having said that, including flash elements in an HTML website does a lot to enhance its presentation but a pure flash site is only going to be well received by a subset of web users.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nickadam

nickadam New Member

I prefer HTML on Flash. Perhaps it is little difficult for someone, but more convenient and user friendly.

Nick

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

In my mind flash should only be used to spice up a site if its a corporate affair. For media microsites its ok like movie releases etc.

The main drawback is accesibility and SEO, theres talk of trying to fix these with better indexing etc, but my moneys still on DHTML for 90% of your average web front end.

7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Yea they are 2 different things, one isn't made nor designed for web design and one is.

Think as one as the container, the other as the content.

They go hand in hand if done well

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. budz01

budz01 New Member

well i think flash is much better than i see,:D

9. MH Vishal

MH Vishal New Member

I agree what you are saying about BBC but HTML with good CSS can also used to make a good promotional sites.I think a better example would be animated pages,may be Flash games.:biggrin

10. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Great another spam bot :twisted:

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots