whats around the corner? technology wise..

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by shaggy, Oct 2, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Been thinking of upgrading the computer for a while, had it for 5 years now and theres a lot out there thesedays...plus my index score of 1.0 depresses me somewhat:ohmy

i was just wondering whats in the pipeline for say the next year? i dont want to go out and buy things now only to have some new ground breaking hardware stomp all over my parts, i know its impossible to keep up, but i want to be as close as i can (if the budget allows) as well as this, when newer stuff comes out older stuff gets cheaper, this is another reason i may hold out as i wont mind being slightly behind if i can get things for cheap-ish

so, tell me, how long till the core2duo is knocked of its high horse with i dont know... a quad core?

what about graphics cards nowdays? i can pick up a 512 AGP (yes AGP!) card for just under £50, which 2 years ago was impossible

was originally just going to get a new graphics card to run things like aero and C&C3, but dont know if i should hold out and maybe upgrade the MoBo to a PCIe

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Electronic Duct Tape, that is whats around the corner, that insidious grey stuff it get's everywhere, it helps repair broken websites. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Quad cores have been around since core 2 duo came out, and they are dropping in price all the time :)

Also I would definetly go for PCIe mobo and graphics card.

The NVidia 8600gts are Ok for mid range stuff but if you can afford one get an 8800 of some kind.

Yeah technology changes all the time but I doubt quad cores will become the norm not a while anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I hear something like this is all the rage...oh wait! That was 1940 what???

Sorry, but everybody is promising the sun, the moon, and the stars in terms of bleeding edge technology no matter what year it is. Frankly, the split second you buy the latest hardware design, it's already obsolete. That's the nature of technology in general. Save your pennies and buy the best you can afford. It no doubt will beat a 5 year old PC.

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I found a good rule of thumb was to buy around 12-18 months behind latest technology to strike a decent balance between up to date and budget-friendly.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Gav's right. My video card isn't the latest and greatest... but it was the best bang-for-the-buck (most pounds-for-the-pounds? heh!). My processor isn't the fastest... but it was the best value for what I could afford. I don't have as much memory as I could have... but I have as much memory as I could afford without overspending. The same can be said for the hard drive(s), motherboard features, case, PSU, etc.

I'd recommend a motherboard that already has some upgradeability. For example, I've got a 1.83 GHz C2D on my Asus P5B motherboard... but I believe it supports quad-core processors, should I want to upgrade the CPU in the future. When the prices come down, and my computer becomes sluggish with new apps, I'll likely buy as fast a CPU as the board will support.

For video cards, I'd recommend looking at GPUReview to compare video cards before you buy. You can compare frame rates, memory bandwidth, 3DMark scores, etc. That way, you can find out what's the REAL difference between a 7800 GS, a 7800 GT, and a 7800 GTX... or whether you'd be better off with an x1950 GT or a 2600 Pro.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You want to know what technology is coming around the corner. Well, I can tell you with 100% accuracy.

More new technology. :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. vinnieg24

vinnieg24 Bit Poster

quad processors are insane...very very fast

9. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

the questions you should be answering is how much have i got to spend and what do i need it for ?

there's nothing major i can think of atm as vista is already out, PCI-E wont be changing for a while and nor will the amd and intel CPU sockets. the HD and blue ray drives have been out for a while but still to expensive, the sort of system you should be looking at is a c2d, nvidia 8800 range, DDR2

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Always dangerous saying such things.....

Look here.

:p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

oh dear...thats set the ball rolling...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life