What would you do over hear someone cheat?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ence, Aug 1, 2008.

?

What would you do?

1. Grass him up to Microsoft

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Have a word with our tutor

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No one like a grass

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Let him get on with it he future employer will soon find out his knowledge is poor

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Mind you own business

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I take great exception what you say, why should someone get a job over me or progress faster than me when they have cheated and I haven't?

Personally I'd still give the ****er a slap.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

:iagree

But as others have said the cheats will get found out sooner or later :behead ..no point in getting worked up over it...

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  3. greenbrucelee

I don't get worked up but it pisses me off when someone comes into the IT department where you might have a chance of being employed there. They have the MCSE by dumping and they leave the backup tapes in the bloody corridor for the cleaners to throw in the bin.

4. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

That wasnt aimed at you GBL :oops:

Just in general it isnt worth getting worked up, good things come to those who wait and learn and those who cheat I hope their ass hits the steps on their way out of the workplaces and thier lack of knowledge is blatantly obvious to anyone who is duped into interviewing them

5. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Yes you'd give him a slap - but to run around being a grass is totally different and isn't a good reputation to have in the workplace.
    It's condradicting what others say about "working hard to EARN your position/qualication".

kissing the bosses ass and run and tell him things all the time about people holds no value apart from trying to sneakily move up in the workplace. I'm sure you wouldn't take this route ever, but I agree with what you're saying. I'd be frustrated too about others moving up ahead of me without doing the same hard work and effort as me, but this isn't justification to grass on any cheats, it does however, merit a 'slap' as you say.

10 people on this forum voted for "grassing"... That's 10 people I hope I never work with or around

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  6. postman

postman Byte Poster

Foot in mouth

7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Watch your figures there.

5 people said to have a word with the tutor - 5 said to report him to Microsoft. That's different levels of 'grassing' as having moral ethics is being so eloquently labelled.

If he's cheated using *dumps then he's used illegal materials, and deserves to be decertified.

I wouldn't report him to the boss, as if he's not worth his salt enough to use dumps then his shoddy standards of working will be obvious, and quality will-out. But if he's broken the law, then Microsoft deserve to know, and the cheater deserves decertification.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. greenbrucelee

Yes I know :)

I'll tell you how I voted, I said I'd report them to Microsoft not tell the boss as I know they would get found out eventually. But anyone who cheats deserves to be decertified.

I lived with a mate in Ballymena for a couple of years from 94 - 96 I know how it is over there but I am sorry if someone gets ahead of me because of cheating then I'll report then and their mates who want to defend them can come and see me.

I have lived in areas and been around situations most normal people don't see or realise happens, nothing really scares me anymore.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Took me a few moments to figure out what "grassing" meant in this context (you'd "rat somebody out" in America...and even that sayings is probably archaic). I haven't seen any other staff weigh in on this thread, so I thought I'd stick my nose in. I'm not going to render an opinion, but I will remind everyone that debate is good...personalizing conflict is bad.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. mickaveli2001

This doesn't have to be done by grassing him up though. As postman said, grassing is a very low criterion to live by and a horrible pattern to embark upon, and that they themselves deserve a knee capping or any other form of similar punishment. It's very childish and embarrassing that a fully grown adult man has to run around "telling" on people at 18+ years old regardless of the subject.

I said about the selection of "mind your own business" as a necessary and principled option to select because at the end of the day, you don't know the cheating individual's circumstances do you???? The guy could be one of the most warmest individuals, but in the darkest of times in his life!!! He may do a lot more good than some of you by having a direct debit set up for various charitys, or maybe he has 2 small infant children who are struggling to be fed correctly, and is DESPERATE to earn a better living to provide better for his innocent kids, and needs to pass 'as quick as possible'.. Now I don't condone cheating, but I certaintly don't condone grassing... Or Reporting - which is a just an intricate word for 'grassing' but means the same thing...
    This gets noted down, and not only does he get de-certified and loose his job, but he then struggles to ever get a good paying job ever again due to this desperate mistake, and in turn leaving these innocent kids struggling even worse, and more than what they would have - all because some depraved, un-social, cck sucker decided to -> with one hand hold their nuts and tuck them in between their legs, and with the other hand raising it eagerly and shouting "miss, miss miss, miss" and deciding to blab on someone not fully concerned of the consequences. If the guy is meant to be found out - he will - but that is not your job, nor mine, and is the duty of a much higher force, which may see fit the needs of 2 kids as main concern before anything else

Left the track a little near the end, but you get what I'm saying. It's not right to just jump up and grass on people

11. postman

postman Byte Poster

Foot in mouth

12. Arroryn

I do kind of get what you're saying, but surely if he's admitted it already, then he's been 'found out'. How else is there going to be any fair recompense for his use of stealing exam answers if he's not reported to the correct authorities?

Put the shoe on a different foot. This guy gets a job doing network administration through the merits of a *dumped certification. He runs havoc through the systems as he's not even sure what the Event Viewer is, no matter what to do with it when he eventually finds it to troubleshoot a faulty server. And don't get me started on services... and when everything comes to a clattering, grinding halt, and you work with him and have to clean up his sorry mess... what would you want to have happened then?

He hasn't stolen some sweets or pushed a kid to get his lolly. He's broken the law and he will use this illegally gained certification to get a job that serves critical functions in a working environment. I'm sorry, but you're talking about two completely different categories and classes of living your life. Just using the term 'grassing' is moronic and childlike, and smacks of a lack of appreciation of ethics.

I'm not going to go whinging and crying to the teacher - but I would let the relevant authorities know that someone has broken the law.

Social engineering my ass. I've lived in council dumps and worked in ****ty jobs where *working class stick together* and *no one grasses caus that's 'disrespectful'* What utter bollocks. If you haven't got the spine to do something about someone breaking the law when you see it, then fair enough. Don't tell people that *do* have the wherewithall to do the right thing that they're sissies, just because you haven't got the guts to do otherwise.

13. mickaveli2001

In my experience. I have seen that people in the workplace who are reputable grasses, are typically spineless, and 2-faced. I'm sorry - I just wouldn't be categorised in that same league. Ethics is promoted in a lot of workplaces these days, and half of the time they promote work ethics, but don't abide by them fully, and it may encourage to "report", but it doesn't make it right

14. postman

postman Byte Poster

Foot in mouth

15. Arroryn

I didn't say you specifically were spineless. Just like I assume you're not saying that I specifically make squealing pig noises on my way to doing what I feel is right :dry

I have the opinion that braindumpers cheat the system by... cheating. You have the opinion that people who report these people to the authorities - ie - Microsoft (I have already said I wouldn't involve the company) are also 'cheating' the system by brown-nosing their way to the top. So let's agree to disagree. That's why they're called opinions.

16. mickaveli2001

Couldn't agree more with you on that statement

17. greenbrucelee

I made the mistake of getting a bit lost and knocking the back of a van with a load of armed coppers in it, wooptidoo they had some guns. Been in scarier predicaments.

Exactly. Repped :D

There's a difference when the law breaker is directly affecting you to when it's some stupid misdemeanor that doesn't really affect anyone though. A dumper could affect your work and make your life more miserable as Arroryn pointed out, they could cause network choas. It's a bit different if a work collegue is going home for lunch and having a beer which would be against most company policies and if he/she makes a mistake it his or her fault for being pissed.

I never said I'd run to the teacher but if I was in line for a job and someone else gets it because they have a certification better than mine and they cheated to get it THEN I would report them to Microsoft. The dumper that got the job in my IT dept has now been sacked, the guy had the gaul to ask me what a Vlan was and he had the MCSE and I was about to do the A+.

I am in no way an ass kisser and resent anyone saying I am, but basically if I knew you had cheated and were going for a job at my place of employment I would report you. People who don't know what they are doing shouldn't be allowed near things that can go tits up because of someone not knowing what they are doing.

You would let someone who cheated in medical exams to do an operation on your grandmother would you?

The same applies to someone who cheated on IT certs you wouldn't want to let them loose on your servers.

18. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

In the end their is no "Right" or "Wrong" answer to this...

In the end its down to your moral compass to what action you take.. everyone is diffrent so everyone will take diffrent actions..

:smile-l

I wouldnt trust them with my daughters doll let alone a real person...

19. greenbrucelee

Yep. Repped :)

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok, we've got a couple of "voices of reason" here. The topic itself is obviously emotionally loaded and those people most likely to respond are deffo going to have a strong opinion on one side of the equation or the other. There have been posts in this thread that seemed to be participating in what I'd politely call "a spitting contest". It seems (in these cases) to come down to who is calling who what: a "dirty, rotten squealer" or a "teacher's pet/suckup".

Ok, I'm probably exaggerating, but to make a point. Depending on your moral structure and, to some degree, how "rule bound" you are (or aren't), you'd take different actions if you observed a person cheating on a certification exam. That's pretty much predictable, as was the outcome of this thread.

Unfortunately, threads like this can end badly (or refuse to end at all, if people need to continue to "have their say"). I'd just as soon have it wind down and die a quiet death, especially since I had to lock a thread just yesterday. If I (or other staff) have to lock a thread, it means that the participants can't seem to stop taking shots at one another and personalizing conflict. I don't like having to act like a "parent" here, but after all, it is part of staff's job to maintain a somewhat "orderly" environment here.

How is this one going to end?

Certifications: A+ and Network+