What would you do? Advice required..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by BDB2008, Sep 11, 2009.

1. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

The question is; should you use emotion at an interview?

Ok to set the scene, The position is for a company doing a role that i have wanted to do for over 6 years, it's a level of responsibility that is the same if not more than being the front man of a platoon moving through Basra or other; it's that intense and will require total focus commitment and complete trust in myself as a team member. It's that important to me.

I had a job interview last Wednesday and it is down to this other guy and myself, they want to see us both again next Monday and be interviewed by different people.

We both sailed through the tech side and we both eased through the competency side hence its a two man race and i need to stick my head out and clinch it at the line.

Back to the question; should you use emotion at an interview?

One of the most important parts of the job requirement is teamwork and I want to be able to say sort of how much it will mean to get the position, how much i will work to keep it and how much being back in a team (im x-forces) so on and so forth.

Is it wise or is it a foolish idea?

BDB

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think you should just be yourself. To do otherwise is to not be completely open with the employer; what they see should be what they get.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Difficult call m8.

You just have to try to suss out what they're looking for. If you appear too emotional they may have concerns about you leading strongly and enforcing decisions. On the other hand, they may not want a robot either !

I think with all these situations it is wrong to go into the interview with too much of an idea - try to drw it our from them by asking questions - what sort of leadership style do they want ? etc. and then try to show instances where you have adopted that in past situations succesfully.

.... good luck ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You should concentrate on what you can do for the job, not what the job can do for you.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

@BosonM: Understand your points and looking at you yourself then you know being in the forces creates a teamwork unsurpassed in civilian quarters. This job is made up of x-forces personnel and the other person who wants the role has no history.

I know the team and the team wants me to get the job - but that’s illegal :) The other guy is technically qualified but has limited field/team experience.

If I use emotion I might look 'desperate' and unprofessional..

@UKDarkstar: Exact dilemma, it's a catch 22 situation, come over too emotional about the why me and they might throw me an oscar lol

Interview is week on Monday, all the training has been put on hold for preparation!!?!

Edit: @Soundian; understand your point but this is not an issue, trying to break into this position knowing the role i will have and the team i will be working with its a total give job.

What i get out of this is not seeing my family as much as i would like too for a long time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yep, so try to "play" them to tell you what they want. In the extreme :

"So what are the ideal team and leadership qualities you are looking for and how can I show you I have those ?"

Not my sort of question but a lot of "advice" sites do say to be quite bullish in asking.

For me, I'd have to play it by ear.

Maybe if it's ex-service people in the team you could ask the interviewer something like :

"I know you have a lot of ex service personnel that I would have to work with. Is there a conscious decision to use service people for any reason ?"

"Are you therefore looking for ex service personnel to lead the team or are you looking for a different management style ?"

End of the day tho' it's gonna be your call - good luck as I said !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Speaking as someone who has been in the military, I would care only that you could do the job. In my opinion, being too emotional isn't good, because emotions often make people think illogically. But being unemotional isn't good, because emotions are required to temper logic. In short, if you're "acting" - if you're different from how you REALLY are - then you can be a liability to the mission, because I am expecting one thing from you but getting another. I'd rather know what to expect from you. Thus... BE YOURSELF. If I can't trust you to be yourself in an interview, how can I trust you to be yourself under fire or a pressure situation?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

'Emotion' covers a lot of things and can be good or bad.

It's good to appear energetic or enthusiastic about a company or role, but as long as it's tempered with professionalism. Bouncing up and down on your chair is probably out of order, as is throwing yourself on the floor and grasping onto the interviewer's ankles.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I don't really understand what you mean (or perhaps why you mean) when you say 'use emotion'.

Like BM says - simply be yourself. Anything else may appear forced or false, and that would certainly put off a potential employer.

A lot of hiring managers looking at personality just as importantly as they do tech experience - as, if someone is going to ruffle the feathers of everyone in the existing team, they may have to go through the hiring process again all too soon, and quite a few times....

So being the genuine you in an interview is critical.

What scenarios or questions do you envision needing 'emotive' responses for?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

I have to say that BM pretty much has it spot on there.

Certifications: HNC Computing (Software Development)
  11. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

What ever you do don't start crying!!

I think the key is to have an interview that is memorable for all the right reasons.

Now that the technical side is out of the way, it is time to showcase your personality. The other guy may have his interview and the employer be in the opinion that "Yeah he can do the job", where as ideally you want "Yeah he can do the job and I had a good time, I like that guy" after the interview.

Focus on being yourself so everything is nature and relaxed, be comfortable communicating at this level, backed with good body language and don't bore them!

You can try the odd funny too.......I used this one once at a panel interview: "I'll describe myself as a very open and honest person, I'd like to think you could ask me anything.........so longs it doesn't involve anything related to "harassment" and "lawsuits" we're fine :)"

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think that, if you've got this far, they sure as damn know you want the job - now, personality is key.

Honesty is always the best policy and, unless you have some real reservations about your personality (!) doesn't have to be boring.

Just weave your answers in a different way to the "personality" questions - show you're more than a stock answer textbook.

You've already said you and this other guy are technically on par - they're looking for the personality to fit their team.

I'm still amused that I got my current job by answering, to the dreaded "how would your friends describe you" - "clinically insane" - the ensuing story seems to have definitely set me aside from the other applicants, as the rest is history!

Good luck with it :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA