What will the IT job Market look like in 10 years+ +

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rockstar6181, Aug 1, 2010.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Having been in the industry for over 10 years now I think I can say I have a pretty good grip on what's happening now and in the future.

Yes Virtualisation and Cloud Computing are definitely going to be big, with the dumbing down of various technologies as well there is certainly going to be a culling of the chaff from the wheat, what that means for those people who do this for the love of technology however is that they will require a great breath of knowledge, not just of virtualisation but also the core technologies that support it (LAN\WAN and Storage technologies to name two).

As far as outsourcing goes however, I don't think it will die the death that it needs to, as has previously been mentioned too many people have too much tied up in it, only once in my career have I seen a major company pull out of a 5 year outsourcing contract early (18 months into it) and the only reason for that was that they had merged with another bank and the incoming CEO had already thrown out the outsourcing company from his Bank.

In all honesty though I can't see there being too much in the way of trouble for the true geek, in 10 years the leaps and bounds of the technologies have been amazing (I remember SMS 1.2 and how vastly different SCCM 2007 is to that, the same with NT 4 Domains and Active Directory) but it's not meant a great deal where work has been concerned (ie I still find work, sure the technologies are different but the work is still out there).

Should people be worried?? My honest answer would be... It depends on why you're in IT. If it's for the Get Rich Quick jobs that people seem think IT offers then yes be worried because every Tom, Dick and Harry can and will be doing the boring and mundane work and that means you're **** outta luck. If you're in it for the love of technology though I think that the next 10 years are going to be amazing, things are going to happen that you're going to love, get into it now and in 10 years time the world will be your oyster because you will have your finger on the pulse and be the kind of person that people hire because of your experiences and technical abilities.

For most of the people who come and stay on this site (because they actually want to learn) then you stand a better chance of staying in IT, for those people who come to the site because they think that the cert is the be all and end all of getting a job then the best advice I can offer is simply don't bother getting in IT now because the boom really has stopped.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not really. I have already migrated some small\medium sized companies onto SBS 2008 as if it’s on supported hardware Hyper-V can be used for a second server. This was from a full Server 2003 domain with Exchange 2003.

Cloud computing isn’t always an option for smaller companies that cant invest in a decent connection to the web but basic virtualisation is enough for them from SBS 2008 to cut costs.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I was talking about offshoring specifically, not outsourcing in general. The outsourcing market will continue to grow - because there is no end of bean counters in senior finance positions whose entire raison d'etre is to cut from the company's bottom line. They drift from role to role every eighteen months, picking up mahoosive bonuses for making 'savings', when in reality they are doing no such thing in the long-term.

Outsourcing is a great fit for some companies. It's not a great fit for all. Offshoring is a great fit for very few.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em