What was the last non IT book you read?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I *heart* reading

Currently reading Unseen Academicals, der funfte Elefant (still), Lord of the Rings (again) and the Iliad.

Recently (within the last month) read Memoirs of a Geisha; the Lioness Quartet (Alanna: the First Adventure; in the Hand of the Goddess; the Woman who Rides like a Man; Lioness Rampant) - teenage books, but an easy light read; Thief of Time and the Truth :biggrin; Generation X; Wizard's First Rule (again); Graceling and finished listening to the audio books for Plague of the Dead: Morningstar Strain and Thunder and Ashes: Morningstar Strain. Currently listening to the audio book of Good Omens (Pratchett and Gaiman) trying to get the other half into Pratchett.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Last book I read was "Stirred But Not Shaken" by the late, great, Keith Floyd.

3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Have you read the rest of the series? I tried to but round out of steam somewhere along the line.....

Most recently I've just been rereading the Black Magician trilogy (Trudi Canavan) and Unseen Academicals. Probably going to pick up some more Iain M Banks to read now, but that'll have to wait until after I move so I know whether I need to rationalise my book collection or not :P

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I did; I've read the entire series, and I'm re-reading it again in English and German.

It's well worth sticking through, although the story does "lose its way" around "The Pillars of Creation" it's still a great piece of fantasy literature IMO.

For that same reason, I will one day conspire to read the Wheels of Time. But not right now :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Viz christmas annual

and an old copy of the beano I found in a skip last week

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

... Non IT book?

... Sorry I don't think I understand the question.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

I am a fan of Stephen Donaldson... I read the unbeliever series and am now waiting (on tenter hooks) for his next one in this series to be released!

I also seriously enjoyed (dare I say it) the Garth Nix Abhorsen trilogy :oops: I know he is a teen writer but that series was absolutely fantastic!

Also loved Michael Moorcocks The Eternal Champion Series and Donaldsons GAP series.

Must haves!!:D

~Ati~

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCDST
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I love Stephen R. Donaldson's work. I read both original Unbeliever Chronicles years ago (twice!), so I'm purposely putting off the final Chronicles until the final book is released. For years I thought he would never release a third set! Am glad he did.

I would recommend his Gap series and his Mordant's Need series... let me know if they're unavailable and I'll see what I can do. His short stories in Daughter of Regals and Reave the Just are also worth a look.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Last books I read were '10 day MBA' and Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  11. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I read EON by Greg Bear- Apparently at the time, around the mid 80s........it was "the greatest sci-fi novel of our time"

I found it had great potential, but ultimately it was pretty boring for around 80% of the book..........but hey it had big words, and some nice theories thrown in, so maybe thats why it was credited the above statement, by the Guardian or whatever it was:blink

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  12. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Just about to finish The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, superb read IMO.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  13. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Last edited: May 18, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Currently reading The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, and Sagitarrius is Bleeding, a Battlestar Galactica novel.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Red Sonja versus Thulsa doom :D

A good graphic novel/comic.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

This!

One of my favourite series and I reread them about once a year or so. I do find the first book somewhat throw away compared with the other ones.

I just finished Changes which is the latest book in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher and all I can say is :eek:WOW:eek: As a super natural Thriller it was superb but when put with the previous books it raises it to a whole new level. Cut off from his friends and pressed on all sides its a story of a desperate man. Really really good book.

Also I have just started reading Freakonomics which is really interesting as well.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Last non-IT book I read was 'Consumer Kids' by Mayo & Nairn. Discusses the disgraceful methods and consequences of advertising to kids.

Currently reading 'The Richness Of Life' by Stephen Jay Gould (my favourite non-fiction writer) - a collection of essays loosely based around evolution (have read most of them before, but nice to get them all in one place and read them together)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  20. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Am not fiction books' fan. Am reading The Invention of the Jewish People by Shlomo Sand very interesting book and saw divided views about it and Communication Secrets by Carolyn Boyes - pretty basic so far but will give it a try.
    And by the way when do you find time to read?

Last edited: May 18, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+