What to say to a store owner?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by El Kabong, Feb 9, 2006.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong New Member

Hey guys, I'm currently studying for my A+ cert, and pursuing a degree in computer science. While in school, I'd like to work at a small computer shop to gain experience. I've pulled up a list of the shops around my city, and I'm going to a few of them this weekend. I know a few of you own or manage shops, so what exactly do you look for in an employee? Are they usually willing to take people with no formal experience? I'm a very quick learner, and I've been working on computers informally for a while. I'm just trying to figure out what I should say when I go to the store manager/owners, and what I could do to make them consider me. I'm looking for a somewhat part-time job, with a full time possibility during the summer. Thanks a lot ahead of time for any replies!

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I can't really offer much advise on this subject, but what I can say is that if you don't give it a try, then you will never know.

Be professional in how you conduct yourself, make sure that they know you are not just some kid who think he know's it all, and that you are genuinely wanting to learn and gain experience.

You may find that if you volunteer your services (at first) that they will be more acomodating (sp?), as everyone likes to get something for free.

8)

3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

In the dim distant past I used to work at a struggling little computer shop and we sometimes got lads like yourself calling in. Some we took onboard for a while on the understanding that we couldn't pay a salary but we would (and did) let them gain experience of A+ level stuff and when there was some cash, we did give payments to the lads... it worked for both parties.

If you're willing to go down that route they'll likely be takers. More established businesses ought to pay you...

good luck...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Try to make an appointment with the shop owner ahead of time.

Another point would be not to push the point of wanting to work for them. Tell him/her from the start that you would like more information from them about the qualities they look for in a person.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. paparika

paparika Bit Poster

be honest.....
    be prepared to use this as a placement whilst at college/uni/school doing your A+

my experience was 2 years ago i did a one year course on pc servicing and network maintenance, (funny enuff it was based on A+) i have to get a placement, so approached some small compaines and asked if they would consider me as a placement, they couldn't pay me a salary (college rules) but they did pay me travelling expenses (nudge nudge wink wink)

if you tell them that its to work along side your course, explain you need to gain field experience, then they may be open to taking you, gl

Certifications: NCFE, BTEC Diloma pc servicing & network