Problem What should I hate? Windows 7 Ult. or ATI?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by albertc30, Apr 4, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello.
    The only reason I bought these OCZ memory sticks was due to the fact that they were recommended by ASUS. In fact, they are the only ones they recommend from OCZ.

Maybe this is the reason I need to get my hand on a brand new Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX, however this one I have now has served me well and I’d very much like to keep it and save the money to by our new Panasonic Vieira Plasma 42 G20, lol… just so that the wife can amuse herself while watching world cup, not me as I am not a football fan I must say and to top it up the wife will be supporting Portugal being herself English. I’d support England, anyways….

SimonD;
    Very generous of you and I appreciate the fact that you’d be willing to put your trust on me to come round and have this done and tested together. Very nice indeed. Sadly I can’t make it as, not only I am moving during this week, I do not own a car. I can’t believe that it has been 3 years now without a car. I miss my old banger, VW Passat 1.8 20v. Who knows maybe in a near future, as I do occasionally rent a car, like once every 2 to 3 months. If I do so soon and the problem is still at hands I’d be more than happy to meet you and have this done together.

Could this all be due to fact that I have updated the BIOS to its latest release?

The only two things I have done before all of this happened was just that, new pair of memory and a BIOS update.

Thanks everybody and I shall keep you all posted.

To all of you a very nice week.

Cheers
    Albert, C

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I take it that the RAM you have is 100% compatible with your motherboard and is on the Qualified Vendor List?

It sounds like the same problems I had last year and it turned out the RAM wasn't compatible with the motherboard.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. albertc30

Yes mate. In fact it is the only OCZ on the Qualified Vendo List.

I got one response from OCZ forums asking me to drop the voltage to 1.65 which I have.

I now have all 4 sticks on and it has been scanning for the past 11 hours, with 6 passes with no errors so far.

This is interesting especially when this memory should run with a 1.8v unless the motherboard is injecting more then 1.8 hence the drop to 1.65.

I should have picked up on this as sometimes they would be very hot.

4. albertc30

Ops... I have spoken to soon.
    I now have one error after almost 15 hours of testing.
    It failled test 7 pass 8. Reported one error only.
    From the OCZ support team, where I have opened a ticket, I was asked to have the memory set at either 1.8 or 1.85 which so far has resulted in the most errors possible.
    The current scan is being done with a 1.65 voltage and so far is the best result I have had.
    I just got my Asus ENGTS250 DK/DI/512MD3 and can't do much with all this testing.
    I miss my system and I have had enough of the laptop, :cry:
    Any comments more then welcome.
    Cheers.

5. albertc30

Hello everybody.
    As promised, I am back with more news about this problem.
    ust got the new memory from OCZ yesterday.
    They have sent new modules so I take it they came to the same conclusion that they were damaged.
    However, the new memory modules in, start running the test and went to bed.
    Got up at 3 am to go to the toillet and oh my GOD, passed test/run 1 but after that it was counting errors of up to 40 000 000 and still counting.
    I am so upset with all this that I have got no motivation what so ever. I am sick and tiered of this c****.
    So much money spent and it's just a massive problem.
    I guess my next steep is send my motherboard back to OCUK and if posible have it swapped for another model.
    Any comments are more then welcome.
    Cheers.

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The offer still stands, infact if you want I can test the entire system (I have enough spares here to do that if you want).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. albertc30

Hello mate.
    It is, as I have said before, very kind of you and funny enough I now have got a car. I just bought it two weeks ago, so going there wouldn't be a problem.
    Nevertheless, I am fairly busy this weekend coming with 3 visits to customers for Saturday and Sunday is for family or I'll get me b*** chopped off... lol...

Because I am tiered of all this and little to no time at all, I might just purchase either a new motherboard or more ram. It would be nice to do the 100 ish miles to yours; it could be like a test drive to my car to see how it copes long distances as I haven't yet pushed it sort of speak.

Once again, many thanks for your offer and if I do manage to find the time I shall get back to you but like I have said, chances are I'll just buy newer ram or mobo.

Thanks again and please any comments welcome.

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If you find you have time during the day and during the week give me a shout, I am between contracts at the moment so am pottering around the house anyway.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. albertc30

If I find an empty slot "time" I will.
    Cheers mate.

10. albertc30

Hello everybody, SimonD;

I just received new hardware that I have purchased online to have this problem of mine sorted once and for all.

I bought a new motherboard, ASUS M4A87TD EVO and 4GB of ram GEIL GV34GB1333C7DC.

I have now the new memory on the old motherboard, ASUS M4A785TDV-EVO and testing it with MemTest86+ V4.0 and so far, it has been testing for 2 hours with 3 passes and no errors to this time. I'll leave on testing until 09 am.

If this testing results in no errors I shall then have the new motherboard into the case and then test the old RAM and see how it behaves. Is it possible that the second time around the OCZ modules are still faulty? This would be very unusual to say the least, no?

Anyways, I'm off to bed now and hopefully there will be no errors by 09 am tomorrow. I can't wait to have my system back. This time my new motherboard does not has onboard VGA, instead I have purchase as well an ASUS ENGTS250 512MB GDDR3. Hoping to test this card with some nice games as well.

As for you, SimonD, once again many thanks for your kindness and support.

I'll keep you all informed of how it goes.

Have a very nice weekend everybody.

Cheers.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck Albert, let us know how it goes :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. albertc30

It has been over six hours into the test and so far zero errors with 8 passes.
    Fingers crossed there will be none for another 6 hours.

13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Definitely good luck, 12 hours should be a good indication that everything is ok.

As far as the replacement memory goes, it could simply be that it was incompatible with your board (even if it was on the QVL) OCZ can be fickle memory and it's one of the reasons why I stopped using it (I still use their SSD's however).

14. albertc30

Hello SimonD.

I am starting to think just that myself.

But what really puzzles me is that I had 4GB initially and the system was fine. The problems only started when I added another 4GB.

However, I did had, when I first built the system, rebooting and crashing problems and after doing some research on Google, it was due to the fact that the memory in question is an overclocking memory and therefore the motherboard won't pick up it's settings correctly. The system was giving 1.5v to the memory when it needed 1.8v. When I done this change, the timings and all everything was sort of ok apart from the odd crash under windows about the display drivers, ATI. System would just flick the screen and just a message would appear about the display driver causing a problem but that would be it.

It has been now almost 12 hours and no errors so far. This new memory, GEIL, has been well accepted by the system with all options on default I can see at POST that it has the correct speed 1333 and on memory test it reads 7-7-7-24 which is also correct.

I shall have the new motherboard in and then do the same but with the old memory in order to test it.

Once again, many thanks for yours and everybody’s help. Maybe one day in a near future with will still meet to talk about computers.

I whish everybody a very nice weekend.

15. albertc30

Hello everybody.

I have got this new board, the M4A87TD EVO and it is never a straight forward thing building up a new system.

I have got a Blue Ray DVD player, which I was using as the only optical drive on my system. I got the new board into the case, inserted my VGA, my BR-DVD rom and started it to run memtest but it was taking like 30 seconds for the POST.

It seems that was due to not recognizing my optical drive. When I plugged in my not so old DVD-RW it went through POST a lot faster and now has an optical booting device.

Anyone has a solution for this? I went to Asus support website to check on new BIOS but still only the default one. Also went to their forums but nothing still on this motherboard.

Lucky enough I had the spare DVD-RW to start running tests on this system.

It seems to take forever to have my pc operational.

16. albertc30

Hello everybody.

Finally it is over. I have tested my new memory on the old board for 12 hours without as much as one error. I couldn't test the old memory with the new motherboard as it wouldn't boot up every time and this new board from Asus has got a button on it to check memory compatibility.

I want to assume that this memory that was sent to me by RMA from OCZ is in working condition but, as I said, couldn't test it. I have also done what I have been looking to do for a long while, to tidy up my computer inside with all the loose cables and poor ventilation. I quite enjoyed it as I must say I am not too good at this but I think the final result was great but please see it for yourselves and any comments more than welcome.

To all of you who send your comments and tried to assist me in this venture my sincere thanks.

Enjoy your bank holiday as I have to go to work.

Thanks once again.

Attached Files: