What should i do?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Snazzygazzy, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Snazzygazzy

Snazzygazzy New Member

Hey everyone, I am currently working at an airport but its not the career I want to be in and as im only 22 i am interested in getting some training in IT(Web Design). I have had an interview with the NITLC salesman and was pleased with what they would teach me on the web design course but wasnt convinced with the salesman as all he did was slag off Computeach and uni. Im also looking at local colleges and uni as £4000 is alot of money and if I fail an exam it will be even more. Has anybody done a web design with NITLC???

Please let me know as im not sure which was to go.

Thanks 8)

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

My advice is to contact local unis and colleges because more and more are now offering web design courses with assistance from the DfEs (hope i got that right).... otherwise they will be much cheaper than 4 grand. Have you also considered teaching yourself the basics?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

In addition to zimbo's excellent advice I should also point out that Web Design is a very overcrowded field - you will have to be good to make a good living from it! (Mind you - I suppose that is true of most things :biggrin )

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi and welcome

I am a student of the Open University and they offer a number of very good courses leading to a Cert in Web Design! And a lot cheaper.

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello & Welcome to CF:biggrin

Follow you gut feeling it's usually right and that is if your unsure about NTLC being the right route for you then your probably right!

Yes they NTLC does slag off CT at least the one that came to visit me did!

Like Zimbo says, start with the basics, pop down to your local library or book shop and have a look at HTML books or pop into the newsagents like WH Smith who have magazines about webdesign and software demos to give you a chance to experiment with web design.

If after all of this you still want to do Webdesign then the next step would be to approach local colleges, universities or web design companies to get an insight of what the web desgn industry is like.

Good Luck:thumbleft

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Snazzygazzy

Snazzygazzy New Member

Thanks for all your excellent advice guys. I think i will do an open uni course and already have athew books to learn the basics. I've also got a day going round with the Media Manager for the footie team I support (Doncaster Rovers) in next couple of weeks to see how things work and he said he will show me what needs to be done when dealing with the clubs website.
    One more thing though, the guy from NITCL said they try helping you get a job after the course, did anybody who has been on NITCL find this?