What should I be aiming for now?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

6 months into my IT career just wondering what I should be doing to advance myself in terms of certification. I have an MTA and ITIL where do I go now? I work on a helpdesk offering OS support basically.. Need to advance my CV but not sure what I should be doing.. The MTA and ITIL was just something to get my foot in the door which I have done

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Firstly and don't get me wrong, try to not run before you can walk. Soak up the invaluable experience where you can. If a job comes in that is frequent, look at how to make the process of doing it quicker or in bulk easier. I love using shortcuts, run command shortcuts especially, see what you can do with them. An example is say you want to put some files on a pc somewhere, in the early days I would trundle over with a usb stick. What I do now is get the pc name, open run and type \\somepc\C$ and just stick it in the c drive. This will be dependant on what your admin rights are at the mo.

Anything where you can cut time from a job will always help

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Appreciate your input but tbh I cant see myself working for this company much longer so wanted to add a cert to my cv was just wondering at this stage what would be relevant

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

morning gentlemen, it seems like you are destined for a career in support at this stage so I would look to do a windows desktop is certification. I'd leave it there until you get a second line support job as it's likely going to be pretty tough taking on server exams without this. Windows 10 would be good and would no doubt give you the Microsoft bug. Job wise I'd say you're fine where you are but aim for a desktop support / second line role as you get to the ten month mark with a view to spending a year where you are now

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would agree - Windows 10 cert perhaps and then check the job market with one years experience.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

for the mcsa windows 10 do you have to pass both exams? I see the study material is quite limited. I previously looked at the exam before looks do able with some decent study

7. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+