What Path Do I Take?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Special Brew, Feb 2, 2011.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, you must agree that it's easier to show a sample of your code (well... something that SHOULD be "your code"! :biggrin) than to show a sample of the networks you've administered. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

Thank you all for your replies.

I cannot do more university as i am unemployed, and it's government funded. when i am working, i will take out more courses side by side to get my Study points up and lower my total degree time.

I can't do full time uni, they expect a college qualification and/or GCSE's, i have neither.

The question i guess i was asking, was what kind of IT jobs are there. It has been answered, saying i should get the basics, and the paths will open up (thank you)

I applied for Zenos accademy (apprenticeship) had an interview, still didn't get in - No GCSE's... done well on interview questions and the tests? hmmmm.
    though it wouldn't have done much, it would have gotten me off JSA and atleast £100 per week and some certs.

Anyways, not the end of the world, i will continue searching, learning and applying!!

I am absolutly serious about this, i can understand i may sound uninterested, must be the way i'm explaining myself. I was just a little confused on the paths possible, and how to get to them.
    I will not give up, at all. It is something i find comes natural to me, unlike anything else.

I have been applying for lots of entry level jobs, with no luck it hits the self esteem.. i've become negative i guess!

Great advice guys!!!

Congratulations to all of you who has made it, I will one day be giving advice to other noobies like myself.

You're Kind of my support, So big THANKS to you all.

Special Brew

3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You're young, there's plenty of opportunity ahead of you. I started out in IT when I was several years older than you.

Some companies may even have a stigma over hiring someone as young as you since it seems that many people would see a 19 year old as someone that should still be in school/college/university for several more years. If they're not there and looking for a job, they may be seen as drop-outs.

But passion and perseverence can do wonders. If you're smart and work hard at it, things can work out. Don't expect it to happen overnight. In fact, I'd say that you shouldn't expect it to happen even in the next 5 years. I should know as back when I was younger than 25, I was not anywhere close to as high as I am now on the career ladder.

Careers take time to build. Not just years, but decades. I was 33 when I finally hit my dream job of working at Microsoft, doing what I really love to do, architecting and implementing various products they way they were intended to be used, in companies with anywhere from a thousand to a million users. This gets the kicks in me, and it took over ten years to achieve.

So never give up.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Some of us are still a little confused. I'm having difficulty choosing which way I would like to go as there are so many interesting areas of IT. :oops:

Nice post Shinigami. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

just my 2p worth... if you are really interested in doing this as a career, stick with it, but as others said, be patient...

My motivation for wanting to work in IT was that I always had been interested in computers and general fiddling with tech, so got annoyed when in my previous (crappy) jobs I would see the "IT people" come in and they were hopeless, and I thought I can do better than these people who probably earn twice as much as me! And plus I wanted a proper career which I could develop as I chose, and provide for my family, and not just go from one boring dead end job to another...

I was in a similar position to you a few years ago (although a bit older), had been in the same job for about 5 years, hated it, so i started applying for IT jobs, for nowhere, started doing certs, still got nowhere, kept on applying and doing certs, and started getting interviews and finally got a lucky break. And I am glad I did, as I really enjoy my job most of the time, and am looking forward to moving onwards and upwards too :p

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You do not have to go through these training providers and companies like Zenos to get certifications all you need is some books a computer and some determination.

These places usually charge a lot of money and all they really do is give you some books and say you can have 24 hour help if you need it. Well you have this place to give you help if you need it so all you need is some books.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Sounds like me lol I was good at coding at college, but went into support, still umming and arring then thought sod it do support, then liked Linux and not Windows etc.. :(

These days I will do Linux and Windows hence getting some more certs but I know what you mean it can be confusing and me changing my mind all the time.. try to stick to one thing I think (plus im getting older) :)

+1 As has been said before on this Forum this is good advice. Then spend an 2 hour+ a night or something like that, get help from this forum if you need it, setup a home lab with some old boxes ....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The experienced gained by your friend is it hands on from a production environment or vice versa?.

In the IT field experienced gained and ultilised in a working production environment is what sets individuals apart.

Another aspect that helps a lot in terms of job hunting is how determined and hungry the job seeker is to land a role of their desires.

Thirdly, their interviewing, personality, confidence and enthusiam helps as well. Please, don't get me wrong as am by no means tearing your friend apart just trying to help if possible.

He might also want to look at the layout of he's CV, it wouldn't harm to get a good book on interviewing. On that note I can whole heartly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Answe...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296815421&sr=1-1

All the best:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. zet

zet Byte Poster

Yeah it was in a production environment. I think the problem is that because he is from Thailand and doesn't have permanent residency yet it's harder for him to get a job

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the clarity, zet:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell