What Next?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by PAT, Aug 22, 2005.

1. PAT

PAT Banned

hi guys and girls

i am new to this forum and it looks like an excellent community with good advice and support.

i am a+, network+ and almost mcsa certified (exam next week!) and have a part time job, doing server admin. Now my question is which route do you think will be the best a foundation degree and then the top up at uni, or to upgrade to mcse. Are degrees respected in the IT industry or not, I have the time now to do a degree as I am 23 with lots of spare time. Being in Cornwall does not help me as new jobs are rare, I am very lucky to have my current one. Thank you for your help.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have to say that what qualifications you are accepted varies from place to place.

Some companies like people with certs, whilst others like degrees.
    Where I worked previously they were all for certs, but they were a reseller. Working in a school as I do now, or in the public sector, the don't seem to understand the value of certs and only value academic qualifications, hence why I am now doing a degree.

Why not do this: Do the Foundation Degree, if you're already MCSA then you may be able to gain exemptions from some parts of it. Then during the summer vacations work on some certs which will bring you up to MCSE (1 -2 Exams per year).

I would have done this but I'm just far to lazy, and when the summer break from uni came I simply wanted to have a rest!

8)

3. PAT

PAT Banned

Good idea simongrahamuk I could may be do say 2 a year and by the time I have finished uni I should be am mcse. So what the jobs market like in your part of the woods, it’s crap in cornwall and I would like to move ASAP!.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm not really sure what the job market is like up here at the minute, as I'm not looking.

What I will say though is that I see very few entry level jobs advertised, with the majority of places wanting people with experience over and above the certs.

8)

5. PAT

PAT Banned

That’s the problem in Cornwall entry level jobs are very rare. I am very lucky and got into IT as server admin, there are a small number of full time jobs which are hard to get into. I would like to work full time as it will look good on my CV.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Working part time whilst you're doing your studies will help you greatly. Any experience will look good to prospective employers, be that full time or part time, it's all experience.

Is it not possible to make yourself so valuable to your current employers that they couldn't dare to let you go? Or to expand your responsibilities so that you are needed there full time?

Whilst I see where you're coming from with wanting to work full time if you are going to go the degree route I'm assuming that it's two years full time or three part-time then you will appreciate only working part time as you can dedicate a lot more to your studies, which at times can be quite demanding. (I'm doing it part time and its two nights there, but 6nights of work a week.)

8)

7. PAT

PAT Banned

My current job will only be part time for now, but there may be an opening at head office if one of the full time, technicians is promoted or leaves and I will be next in line. Working part time has helped me study for my mcsa in no time, and it would be grate for when I do my foundation degree next year.