What next?!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Dreamz, May 14, 2010.

1. Dreamz

Dreamz New Member

Soooo, I recently signed up to the boards to get advice etc from people working in the field and have just passed my CompTIA A+ with flying colours :) (well it wasn't hard but still!)

I've worked in retail IT for about 12-13 years and then onto corporate IT sales so have a very good working knowledge of PC's, Windows, fault finding/system building etc and some network knowledge also as I had to put solutions together based in server/exchange for many of my clients (who got me thinking I really need to change my career as these people are paying IT consultants a lot of money - why not me!!?).

I'm going to do up my CV next as it's not really "support" focused, but just wondering what my next course of action will be. I did the exam just to say "Look! I know what I'm doing even if I don't have *formal* experience".

ANY advise is greatly appreciated, at the moment I'm doing a stop-gap job to get through the recession but am getting close to slitting my wrists as I hate it so much and want to be doing this! :)

ty!

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi,

Network + is a good progression from the A+. The MCDST is also highly regarded and would look good on the old CV if you are applying for support roles.

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  3. Dreamz

Dreamz New Member

yes I've got MCDST in my sights too :)

onto the job boards, having a bit of a nightmare trying to narrow my searches down.

I'm using jobsite to start off with, have uploaded a new CV with new career goals and made more IT focused, however what are the best searches to go with?

In my area (maybe I'm just unlucky) but searches for 1st line support, 2nd line support etc are not producing any results?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Are you using terms like service desk, help desk? support engineer? telephone support?

Also have a look at www.jobserve.com as that's where I get most of my roles from (I even managed to get my wife her job on there, not IT related).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Other terms you can include are: IT Technician, ICT technician, IT workshop Technician, etc...

Other places you can look would include:

The local paper (eg Evening Telegraph) and their local (but national) job site.

The JobcentrePlus site (I and may other people/organisations advertise there).

As for what next, there are several options (in no particular order):

1. ITIL Foundation
    2. Network+
    3. Joining a Professional IT Association
    4. MCDST and/or MCITP: Consumer Support Tech (if you have no corporate/domain experience)...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Dreamz

Dreamz New Member

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

I do know most of the roles etc, just wasn't getting much in my area on searches, perhaps it's just quiet here in the south at the moment :(

ITIL was suggested by a trainer recently, as I've got a lot of management experience, they seemed to think that would be very beneficial to going for an ITIL qualification (have to say I'd not heard much about it until this was suggested).

In terms of IT Associations, any recommendations?