What next...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by emut, Nov 15, 2008.

1. emut

emut New Member

Hi,

I am due to complete the second exam for the MCDST next week and am just wondering if anyone has advise on what I should do next.

My job is based mainly in dealing with mobility solutions such as Windows Mobile and BlackBerry but still do a bit of support at times as well.

My thoughts are to do the 70-290 & 70-291 for the MCSA. Do people think it would be better to move onto the 2008 track exams? We are going to start dealing with more and more 2008 products at work and feel that it may be worth learning about them.

Thanks.

Certifications: MCDST, N+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Up to you mate but there will be lots of Windows XP\Server 2003 networks out there for a long time so no harm in having certs in those products. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Have you actually thought about maybe exams based on Windows Mobile? Here are a couple for example:

Exam 70-540 & Exam 70-500.

Don't know if they would be more helpful for your job role?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How much server administration experience do you have? If you've been administering servers for 6 months or more, you're good to go for the MCSA. That said, the Windows Mobile stuff looks cool.

I'd definitely recommend pursuing the 2003 certs. Few companies have implemented Server 2008 to any great degree. In truth, many places still have Win2K servers on their network! So 2003 will be around for a while to come.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. emut

emut New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I have been administering SBS 2003 mainly for around 18 months. The company is moving away from IT support and concentrating on mobility solutions. I would like to continue to study and gain the MCSA - though most likley candidate exams are one of the MS mobility ones.

I am going to order the books for the 70-290/70-291 and start studying for these.

Cheers.

Certifications: MCDST, N+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Be prepared for a huge difference between SBS2003 and Windows Server 2003...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Server 2003 with XP will be very much around for a while, no harm in studying up the server 2008 since you said you guys will be doing more 2008 products but note that the majority of organisations thta will be deploying server 2008 wont have IT as the core focus of the biz, new OS are gradually introduced into organisations because most wont think of changing or overhauling what already works having said that its still imperative to be ahead so when the time comes you will be utterly indispensable. Good luck on the MCDST next week

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)