What next?

Discussion in 'A+' started by The Zig, Oct 6, 2008.

1. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I've just done the A+.

Obviously, the first step is get a job. And that will probably define my options. But that said, I'm a bit clueless as to good-after-the-A+ certifications. I don't want to stop when I get a job.

A natural progression seems to be N+... Networking sounds good.
    Although the Linux+ sounds right up my street, as an old Mandrake kid! (Now Mandriva)
    And Security+ sounds exciting (do you know how nerdy I feel saying that!) but I think that's a way off yet, in experience terms. (It recommends a few years.)
    But then these are all CompTIA. CompTIA is what I know, what I'm familiar with. But what else is out there?

What about the MCDST? Is it a good progression from the A+? Or is it just if you want to go into a call centre? Having that would also allow me to put MCP on the CV though, right?
    Obviously MCSE is a way off yet.

Is there anything else worth considering at this stage?
    Basically, I have some hardware experience, some very basic industry IT experience, an A+, and a raw, burning ambition... kinda.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its usually best to get an MCP under your belt, so going for the MCDST would be a good idea BUT going for the N+ before the MCDST would be even better because it'll set you up for a decent understanding of any networking in MCDST.

Then after that you could go for the ones you mentioned but getting some experience (job) would be more preferable.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Matthew Tailor

Matthew Tailor Banned

Its good going for certifications to prove your understanding of a subject but dont forget that experience is worth alot more. This is especially true if you haven't been working in the industry very long. Even if it is a call center role in an IT company, you'll pick up alot of knowledge.

Good luck!

Certifications: MCSD, MCPD
    WIP: MCPD 2008 (3.5)
  4. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

the mcdst is a lot tougher than the a+ in terms of questioning,try a few sample questions and see if you get any correct,i'm currently doing the mcdst ,the a+ seems easy compared to the mcdst.

May'be i'm just better with hardware than software.A lot of the stuff in mcdst is just windows xp software.

I'm only doing this because i feel i have to,the a+ qualification by itself looks quite weak in my view,so i'd rather thave the 2 qualifications,one from microsoft and one from comp tia.

And i won't be using mcdst for any call centre job,those jobs would drive me up the wall,so it's not just a call centre qualification.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, I'd say that the MCDST is just as applicable - if not much more so - for someone working in an actual desktop support environment as for those who work in a call center. Both Network+ AND the MCDST are worthwhile at your stage.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for the advice, people.
    I'm gonna start working for the MCDST just as soon as I've banged off a lot of job applications.
    Rewrote my CV from scratch. Hope it works!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?