What mobile phone should I get?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Really, just want to get some personal reviews of the following listed phones. My mobile phone contract is up for renewal soon (in April) and wanted to find out what you guy's thought. I'm not a heavy mobile phone user, but I do use my mobile phone as a PDA, for mobile browsing, e-mail and normal phone things. I'm not going to be spending alot on it (if anything), and the phone has to last for 24 months.

Here's the list of phones to choose from:

1. HTC Wildfire

2. Sony Ericsson X8

3. BlackBerry Curve 8520

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I havent got long term experience with either of 1 or 3 and none with 2. But I like the HTC it was simple to use and wasn't fiddly like some modern phones are.

The blackberry was good too but I found the keys too small when texting so I ended up pressing two buttons sometimes and I have small fingers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I have been looking at reviews for phones 1 and 2 for a couple of weeks now as I wanted a phone that was free and cheap on contract. The main feature I wanted was a camera.

The sony ericcsson has some good reviews but most say the camera is crap :cry: with Virgin that phone is 10.21 a month with 500MB Mobile Web! (24 month option)
    The HTC wildfire gets better reviews, I know someone who has one and he says it's a good phone but me being a skin flint will not get it as it's £15 a month lol

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  4. Kitkatninja

Thanks for that. Personally I can't make my mind up about the BB, I agree with the keys - I had that trouble with the BB we trialed for work, added to that it has no 3G support. But on the plus side the BB (on contract) has double the internal usage allowance per month and unlimited e-mail.

I'm also on Virgin and because I already have broadband with them, I get the cheaper rates (the Wildfire would be £12.26 p/m).

Does anyone know how much MS Exchange integration you can have with the above phones? Eg just e-mail or e-mail and contacts or e-mail, contacts and notes (like the iPhone), etc...

-Ken

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

One v happy wildfire user here. Sure, it has its faults ie no flash due to hardware spec, but in terms of bang for your buck, it is fantastic! The wife considered an x8 but went for a Wildfire after using mine and also the fact Sony Ericsson seem a little slow on android updates (I believe the x8 is still on 1.6 whereas I have 2.2 on my wildfire).

As for the blackberry, I have one as my company phone and it does the job extremely reliably, but just isn't the joy to use that the Wildfire is.

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've been using an HTC wildfire for a while now.

They are great phones, small and light with a largeish screen size.
    It does everything I need, but I would say it is more geared for the 'social' user rather than the 'business' user.

Other than that, more than happy with it.
    Only downside - but I guess this is common with many smart phones - battery life can be on the short side.
    I'm not a heavy user and probably charge it twice a week. My wife charges hers every other day. :eek:

My old Nokia used to go for weeks without a top-up.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The Wildifire is sounding like the winner here. Gets good reviews online also from what I've seen.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Only one i've had experience with is the BlackBerry 8520 - and i'd say avoid it - it's cheap and tacky, and has an awful plastic surround, the optical navigator breaks after about 8 - 9 months, the screen resolution is awful, and it's not quite as robust as it could be.

If you're leaning towards the blackberry. go for the 8900 - it's more expensive, but 10x better than the 8520

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've always been a blackberry user, but I currently have the Curve 8900... I think aside from the fact that I get it for free since its a work phone and the fact that it has BB messenger, makes it worth it for me. Most of my friend have a BB so the BB messenger is a plus too. I would however consider switching to an Android phone, perhaps even the Wildfire because it looks pretty slick!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I love my HTC Desire

I love my HTC Desire

I love my HTC Desire

Have you got it ken ? :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I have a htc desire so would recommend that or the newer HD version. As far as Android phones go the x8 has a very butchered version.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  12. Kitkatninja

I sense that you're trying to tell me something, but you're being too vague :)

Have you sync'd it up with Exchange?

-Ken

13. Kitkatninja

Well decided to go with the Wildfire, Virgin rang with a good deal so taking it up.

Will have the phone by tomorrow :)

-Ken

14. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Good choice! i like HTC's - last one i had was the HTC HD - it was a small brick, but loved it. windows mobile 6.1 ftw - reboot every 2 days :mrgreen:

15. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

In fact i liked my HTC HD so much i've just bid for one on ebay :D

16. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

sorry if i repeat something (i only read half the replies)

Feeling like i should weigh in here as i've been working (analysing mobile phones) for 3 years now. Remember your looking at phones in the middle of the market (lower end of smartphones)

Personal opinion!!!! the BB 8520 is aimed at teenager's to get them on Blackberry messenger service.
    i honestly would go no where near a sony ericsson or a nokia smartphone due to terrible user experience with their software (even the android software on SE phones they have managed to ruin with thier own apps over the top)

I would definetly go the wildfire from the phones you've listed. Android is a great operating system, and HTC does it justice.

Side note: if you were to spend a bit more, everyone seems to love the desire (i do like a physical keyboard) so you could get the Desire Z which is essentially the exact same thing with a slide out keyboard.

Any ways happy phone buying.

Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  17. Kitkatninja

Well just received my Wildfire (funny, my wife's one that was shipped at the same time hasn't arrived yet :rolleyes: ).

So far looking good, nice bit of kit :)

Going to trying later to connect it to Exchange.

-Ken

18. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Although you have already made your choice i will still give a small opinion. we use the bb8520 at work and i confugure them for users and they seem really cheap and plasticy. Haveing an htc desire as a personal phone i think it is great and have sync connected up with my work machine and sync calender, notes and contacts and it does it great, not allowed emails as i am not a certain grade and have no access right in ad to change it but i think it would work well and easy to set up.

I have had a couple of nokias in the past but there os just seems so outdated now.

Hope it is all well for you with the wildfire and i am sure you wont be dissappointed.

thought this looked a good deal

http://www.tescomobilepaymonthly.com/product-page.aspx?Tag=753b8182-cccd-4fb2-9f32-20fc8b018449

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  19. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

I pushed the boat out and got the HTC Wildfire, £15.32 on T-Mobile 300cross mins, 300 texts, 1gb data and unlimited tinter net browsing... The phone seems good for a lower end one, But my life has now changed as I have Telnet up and running on it :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  20. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

From what I understand, the Android phones support syncing over ActiveSync, so if you're looking to sync with Exchange and don't want to pay for BES, that's probably the way to go.

You can configure BIS (the standard Prosumer offering) to work with Exchange, which uses OWA to connect in and provide you with basic e-mail functionality, but none of the fancy syncing.

I think the going rate for a BES dataplan is upwards of £20/month...