What laptop do you use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Island3r, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

DELL owns alienware. I've got a DELL XPS M1710, have to say the alienware lappys look nicer, they are really luggables not laptops. Guys at work with their Mac Books do laugh at me when i get it out ;) I have to say for a general purpose laptop I don't think you can beat the macs...

http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/mobile-computing/notebooks-and-tablet-pcs/review/apple-macbook-22ghz

2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I've got an Alienware PC, have had for a couple of years now. Cost me alot but, it is the *absolute* nuts. Got it for when I was a real online gamer, played for the UK team on a couple of different games, needed the best! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They do look the absolute shizzle but I'll still build my own when I have the money.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Yeah, would be alot cheaper! :)

I was tempted to at the time, but had too much riding on it so opted out and just spent the money 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

im a big fan of thinkpads personally, I've got an old t23 (1.1ghz 384mb's ram) its mainly used for smurfing the internet and rdping to my servers, I must say i've always liked their business look and it has a sturdier (is that a word) feel than many of the laptops ive repaired in the past.

at work we buy in dell d520 for users if they need one, cant say much about it other than its a laptop not very nice to look at ok speed but the intel wireless software really messes about with the netgear routers we buy in.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Has anyone here tried a laptop from Rock? They start at £799.00 (£680 ex VAT).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. greenbrucelee

They look powerful apart from the battery life especially on the SLI8 pro one and is quite pricey at £3000

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Sorry I have to disagree with you there...Macs are not made for general purpose computing...its made for people who are in the filming, music or graphics design industry. My brother has a MacBook Pro and its only cos he is studying Graphic Design at Uni, two of my 3 sisters have a MacBook each...one of them I can understand why she needs one cos she works in the NHS (plus she got a 10% when she bought it online with her NHS account thingy lol) but my other sister I cant understand why...but I know for a fact its not for general computing cos she was on the phone to me last week saying she was having problems loading Windows (yes windows XP!) on it after installing it...I told her she should have gotten a laptop and not a Mac...u know why she wanted Windows on the Mac? Cos she didnt wana use Office 2004 for Mac and wanted Office for Windows instead. Figure that one out!! So sorry no, Macs are not for general use...they're for people who want to show off and when it doesnt work they curse Apple under the Sun...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Macs are becoming more general purpose. It's time for people to change their mindsets.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Thanks for all the responses so far, i'm @ work at the mo so can't really reply but i've been reading your posts throughout the day....interesting stuff.

i didn't realise that dell owned alienware

i've been checking out the dell xps as well, they look quite good. my company is a dell reseller and we get good deals so that could be an option.

i'm wanting it for general work, IT stuff (remote admin, running network diag software etc). Studying, probably running a few vm's on it. Light so i can take it about with me. I'm not a girl like someone mentioned but don't fancy doing my back in:p

and then just general use and maybe the odd game or two

anways i'll reply again tonight when i get home. cheers for now dudes8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I agree there, but how many people will honestly tell u that the only reason they buy a Mac is to show off the looks and not what they use it for?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

IT'S ONLY EIGHT POUNDS! COME ON! BE A MAN!!!! My five-year-old son bowls with a heavier bowling ball than that!!! :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I know many people who bought MACs becuase OS-X was built on BSD. Maybe that's not a good enough reason for the average user :blink

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

What is with people who buy laptops to sit on a bloody desk? ARGH!!! if your not gonna move it get a desk top!!! half the price, twice the performance, and way more upgradable!!

I use a macbook with dual boot vista/osx, over 3.5h battery, 2gb ram, c2d 2.16
    very light and portable

I have a HP 6720s at work which is not ideal, im hoping to get it upgraded to a 2710 or something to that ilk
    it has a C2D, 2GB ram, 120GB drive partitioned with vista and xp on it

I like the dells do, I ahve a D610 at home and its done me proud, although even with a recent upgrade to 7200rpm drive and 2gb ram it unfortunately is no longer up to the task
    the build quality is not superb and the thing gets very toasty on the underside, way more so than my mac or hp

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Another vote for IBM :biggrin

Dell laptops still cut it though. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. greenbrucelee

That does my head in too.

18. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive been running an HP for 3 yrs now and its never let me down yet, its not the lightest lappy around, but it does what i need it to.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  19. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

I had a HP NX7400 at my old place and it was pretty good, i worked in a school and we bought HP's for staff and classroom's as well just because of their build quality, they were kid proof. Unlike the Tosh's that the school use to get

A Mac book runs windows also but can you run VM's within that, i'm guessing you can but just though i would ask?

i've been checking out the Dells again, XPS i like the fact that you can spec it the way you like. are there any other companies who offer that?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  20. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep, if you're running OS X then you can run VMWare fusion to run VM's or if you're dual booting using bootcamp you can use VMWare Workstation.

Incidently I have a single windows box at home. Its virtual and runs on my mac. 8)