What laptop do you use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Island3r, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Hey dudes not sure if this is the right forum to be asking this8)

well i'm in the market for a new laptop, something that i can use on the move for work, light, good battery, plenty of ram, good processor, the normal jaz.

but i don't know what to go for, what's everyone else using? i've been craving an alienware laptop for ages i had my eyes set on one and then i've just been on the website and they've stopped it and brought a newer, heavier, more expensive one so i think that's going to go out the window. i don't really play games but just wanted one because of the brand, lame i know:oops:

so anyways what are you dudes using?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I have had the opportunity to play around with the Dell Latitude D630 at work and the battery life is good too. In terms of weight its quite light and slim looking with sharp LCD screen just running on battery without AC power.

To be honest if I were to buy a laptop and I'd seriously be looking into getting the above.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What do you want to use the laptop for mate, this will obviously influence the spec and therefore how much cash you need to burn. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For work I use the Toshiba SP A100 (C2D 2GHz - T7200, 2gb ram, 120gb HDD, x1600 GC), for home I use the Acer TM 5720 (C2D 2GHz - T7300, 2gb Ram, 120gb HDD, X2500 gc).

The CPU is faster on the Acer (faster FSB, 800mhz as opposed to 533mhz) but the Graphic card is better on the Toshiba (the x2500 is a cut down version of the x1700/x1600). Depending on how I use my laptop(s) I get approx 2 hrs out of them, as I don't run them in power-saving mode.

Hopefully I'll be upgrading my work laptop this year (fingers crossed) a Toshiba Qosmio - 17" TFT, 8600m GT GC - but we'll see :rolleyes:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

For work, I would definitely go for less weight, given I have to carry the thing around. I have a Fujitsu Siemens P7120, although the screen is a tad small for my liking. On a 40 minute walk from Kings Cross to Aldwych, those extra pounds could be a killer... :rolleyes:

6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I've used Dells for years, so I'd suggest those. They have a new tablet that looks pretty nice. Or, as they say, go big or go home.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Light laptops are for girls and wusses. 8)

I've had great experience, both personal and professional, with Dell laptops.

Someone who doesn't game getting an Alienware laptop is like someone who doesn't drive over 25mph getting a Ferrari. What's the point?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

MacBook.

Small, lightweight, fast. can run windows too.

9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

With your point being :rolleyes:

For commuting I have an Asus EEE. It's lightweight and incredibly practical. With OpenOffice preinstalled, it does all I need it to with regards to producing documents on the move.

However, I will soon start taking a gander at Vista and other nefarious things, and I'm looking in the same league of laptop as Josh. As I use the EEE 'around and about' I won't be taking it out of the house. With the size of the bugger, I won't be moving it off the desk. However, I am sadly unsurpised that the UK Dell site is ridiculously more expensive than the UK one, with the lowest spec model available to us coming in at $3000 (equivalent of your $2400 one I think).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My point being...

...if yer not a girl, don't be a wuss. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Or for people who don't want to suffer droopy shoulder or bad back pains in later life... :p

12. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Using a Dell XPS M1530 for work/personal use, love it! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  13. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I've got a couple of Dells for family members ( I dont really have the need for one myself ) and I've been impressed! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I didn't know Alienware did laptops :blink I bet they are beasts. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Please tell me this is a misquote and that u were meant to say u knew Alienware did laptops? :blink and yes they are beasts :biggrin

I have an ASUS laptop. Cost me £500. Came with an AMD Turion X2 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, DVD-RW, 15.4" widescreen display, built in webcam, wireless and network, all the usual and ATI graphics. I love it :biggrin and thats the main thing. I use it when I am at work and when I am at home too. Although I have 2 desktops at home (one for gaming and the main machine)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  16. greenbrucelee

no I didn't know, I just knew they did beast gaming PCs. I hva e used Alienware PCs before and they are reall awesome but I genuinely didn't know that they made laptops.

It is about 8 years since I looked at their web-site.

17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

8 YEARS?!?!?! :eek: get yourself back on there mate and be mesmerised! :biggrin

WIP: my life
  18. greenbrucelee

I will look, I always wanted an Alienware machine but could never afford it. :( but then again I always wanted the most powerful one :biggrin

19. chrisduggan

chrisduggan Bit Poster

My Inspiron 6000 has seen better days, i can remember buying it new, some years ago. It has taken retirement downstairs and been replaced with a metalic pink Inspiron 1525 my wife uses. Not so keen on Vista, guess it takes some getting used to. I stick to the desktop for now

20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Guess who now owns alienware?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009