what is your most common IT support queries?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by lynamcool, Oct 4, 2009.

1. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

Just trying to get an idea of what IT support queries you get as im hoping it wont be long before im working in IT, so i can have an idea of what to expect :D

what is your most common support queries?

WIP: MCDST
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There's too many, here are a few examples: printer needs new toner, user forgetting their passwords, computer won't switch on, printer won't print, can you install this program, this program won't work, can you recover the file/folder I just deleted, the internet won't work, my computer is slow, can't send e-mails, and the list goes on and on....

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Q. Why won't my document print! I've sent it 27 times!
    A. Because the printer is out of paper.

Q. Why isn't this doing what I want it to?
    A. Are you doing it the way I showed you yesterday?
    A. No.

Q. I can't logon. What have you done?
    A. Is this your PC? Exactly how many PCs are you logged on to at the moment?

Q. I need to get at a document what I wrote. I can't remember what it was called, where I saved it, and I deleted it last week by mistake.
    A. Half past two.

Q. We've created a new brand called xxx. It launches in the national press tomorrow and we'll need emails going to [email protected] to go to our sales team. Oh, and we need a website.
    A. Pardon?

Q. I'm trying to logon to my office PC using the username and password from my home PC. It's not working, what have you done?
    A. Discovered a new species.

Pity me...

:cry:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Common support queries,

The computer broke my password,

I wrote this really really good document, that may have been a rival to anything by Tolkien, and now its gone, even though the backups say it never existed.

Why are the computers in this place so rubbish? It won't even let me log in (Usually, unplugged network cable).

Can you install this software on all the computers, its only ten discs, and can it be done by lunchtime?

Is the network broken? My USB stick says I can't save to it.

- Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Jonny's wildly insane post has the right of it, unfortunately, from the ridiculous to the sublime.

The far and away most common queries I get are release requests for emails trapped in the filters, and logon queries for people who don't have roaming profiles attempting to hotdesk. We also get a lot of toner requests, though thankfully our admin team actually deals with those so I just pass them across.

Some of the more delightfully inane queries of late have been:

Q: why doesn't the monitor on my PC work, none of the buttons are making anything happen.
    A: you need to turn the PC on.

Q: is our network really slow because we only have one server here? I've checked the price of servers and they're not that much so we should buy more.
    A: no we do not only have one server.

Q: (a few weeks later, from server question guy) our web filtering policy is awful, when are we getting rid of it?
    A: never. No web filtering could seriously compromise our infrastructure.
    Q: oh. Well I'm going to bring in a wireless dongle and use that on my PC to browse off the filters as that won't compromise anything.
    A: uh, it's still attached to your PC, our property, on our infrastructure. No you will not.

Q: I'm typing on this keyboard and nothing is coming up on screen can you replace it?
    A: that keyboard is attached to a different PC.

Q: I'm trying to email this document and it's telling me it's open but it's not open anywhere fix this f**king piece of crap.
    A: (me smugly pressing Alt+Tab) what, this open document here?

Thankfully a lot of the people that call us with silly queries sound hugely embarassed after you point out their error, though I'd rather deal with them than some of the nightmares I have heard about. My worst one personally was producing a complete deal room with under 24 hours notice. Not something I like to make a habit of...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

Ok over the weekend i got this call whilst fixing a works pc that had been infested with all sorts of nasties from someone's memory stick (virus checkers was out of date and so on)

So mobile rings "Hi your good with computers, can you come and install my freesat box for me, i tried plugging it into the sky satellite that was here when i moved in "

:eek:

appart from that the usual call is

"my internet doesnt work anymore"

"my computers running slowly" (usually due to the amount of crap thats been installed on it)

My favourite though i posted a while back

"my computer's factory re install doesnt work anymore" (he said he had replaced the hard drive when i asked him if he had changed anything lately)

Certifications: MCDST MCSA
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Insane?
    Me?

:ohmy

8. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

One of my less common, but funnier queries..

Q: Why isn't my email working?
    A: It's been cut off because you didn't pay your bill
    or..

Q: Is there something wrong with the server, my email isn't working?
    A: It's because you're not connected to the internet

On a serious note, the most common of my technical queries are resetting passwords, creating email/ftp accounts or checking DNS settings.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Why wont it turn on?

Have you switched on at the wall?

No

RETARD

or in the case of what I do.

I have a 9800GT in my core 2 duo and 400w power supply and teh computer keeps restarting.

Your power supply isn't powerful enough

But its a rosewill power supply that says 650w

Yes but its a **** power supply and has cheap crappy components with in it replace now or risk total failure.

I don't believe you

1 week later

My system is totally dead, I have now replaced the power supply but it wont boot at all.

Your crap power supply has destroyed something within the computer, please bench test it.

Nothing works

Oh dear, I did warn you there's not much you can do now unless you replace the mobo, then probably the ram too.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

My days are easy.

"Why can't I get to this site?"
    Because you're not allowed to.

"Why can't I logon to this server?"

"Why can't I access this share?"

etc... etc... my days are so facinating sometimes :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My last supervisor had a response for that: "If you did that, I'd have to kill you."

I worked for a healthcare company, so information security and patient confidentiality were paramount. Every new employee received a training class, during which I told them in no uncertain terms that attaching unauthorized devices would likely cause a "career-changing event" to occur. The guy in your example would have all the time he wants to surf the unfiltered Internet... from home.

As far as the common queries are concerned... the others have hit the head squarely on the nail: routine "easy fixes" with a smattering of challenging ones.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

My most regular query at the moment:

"My computers been really slow and Ian said you could put on some new faster system so would you please?"

My response:

"Get me a budget that doesn't look like a small childs pocket money and yeah of course I can, until that time, lump it."

I'm going to suggest that Ian takes my bloody job soon seeing as he seems to think he knows so much about our infrastructure.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  13. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

A common one I used to get in a previous job was: 'Why we can't we have them smart looking flat screen monitors? They are so much nicer.' Erm, the firms going through redundancies, It has a budget thats well in the red. Believe me, if we could have flat screens, I would be so much happier, I have to lug 'em about.

Had a slightly more unusual one today, in that we have about 100 Macs on our network, and one of the students came up to say she couldn't log in. I went to ADUC, ready to reset the password, then wander over to the relevant Mac suite, to check the network cable, time and then BIND order, when she then explained that she couldn't log on because she had a '#' in her password, and Macs don't have that key on the keyboard. It stumped me for a minute, mainly because I was surprised that someone had decided to use a secure password for a change.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Tell you what I really hate.

Monday morning, when you are up to your t!ts in emails, letters and all kinds of rubbish - and some bell-end saunters in and says 'There's something wrong with my computer - I can't get on to Hotmail, Facebook or Twitter'.

And you think to yourself 'don't you have work to do?' and feeling indignant rage about some loafer who puts social networking over real work.

Then you go back to catching up on what's been happening on CertForums over the weekend... :oops:

15. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  16. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

17. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

Teacher - A computer in room X is not working! (30+ computers in each room)

Me - Can you be more specific?

Teacher - Its not letting someone log on

Me - What is the Workstation ID? (F**k off great label on the front of the machine asking user to quote this)

Teacher - the what?

Me - The computer number?

Teacher - (annoyed by now) i dont know..its at the back of the room and wont let a user log on.

Me - Is the network cable out?

Teacher - What network cable?... (This teacher teaches IT!)

Me - Which user cant logon?

Teacher - one in my class......plus a few users cant print either in this room for some reason!

Me - which users?

Teacher - look im so busy..and this needs fixing as a matter of urgency.

Me - sure ok (goes to the bottom of my list):biggrin

Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

He's teaching IT and he rings you up to sort out a connectivity problem. WTF :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)