What Is Wrong With Youngsters These Days

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by craigie, Apr 20, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

That's me out of the question then, guess I'll phone up HR at this job i'm about to start and explain I'm not old enough to be supporting the servers of HSBC and whatnot. *sticks career on hold for 4 year*

:D

Lets not turn this into another hating on University or Fanboy Uni threads like we all usually do haha. Put simply, we live in a world where we expect things for nothing with no effort put in. But not everyone is like that at all, just as not all youngsters my age are all expecting something for nothing.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Actually, thats age discrimination, and as such, against the law!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

And this.

I started my IT career 4 years ago at the age of 21, I didn't expect a high wage as I had no qualifications and no experience and I wasn't dissapointed, I'm now 25 and I still don't expect a high wage just a fair one. Many young people are fully aware of how screwed the job market is and how much work needs to be put in to get to the higher levels in this industry, many older people have no clue. Its not about age its about awareness.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I agree with you westernkings. I knew I might be shot for that statement. As always there are exceptions to the rule and I'm sure you're one of them (exceptions). :D

Thankfully I'm not in recruitment, so I'm actually not breaking the law. :D

It's fine. I'm not saying everyone is. But during the course of last 2 years I witnessed at least 15 candidates that were given a job (various positions) and every single one was as my initial post. I am yet to meet decent uni graduate.

As always no offense meant to anyone under the age of 24. It was general statement and my opinion only.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. kicsiburcsi

kicsiburcsi Bit Poster

It is really sad..

When I have git my first IT job as a "junior Technician" 2 years ago I was offered 11K. That was a 4K drop in wages...
    Of course I was genuinly happy to take it and thankful for the opportunity because I knew how much it means to get your first job in IT.

He made a big mistake.

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-290, Degree in IT
  6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

It does sound like the person has passed up a great opportunity.

If a job like that was around my area I would probably accept it if it was as you spelt it out.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  7. westernkings

This + 1

I was at college doing BTEC IT when I got my first job on only 10k. It was a case of whether I should believe the careers lady telling us all that no one gets anywhere in life without going the full length of the English Education system or do I stop getting a formal education and get into IT. I did the latter, and as I approach my 4th IT job in 17/18 months, my wages have increased by around 17k or so.

Anyone who is REALLY interested in IT will jump at the first IT job regardless of age, and it's these people that are probably the most enjoyable to work with (proper shared interests and all that jazz).

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

craigie, sounds like a great opportunity! And reminds me so much of those techies that I've met who got into IT straight after school, were trained up, passed the exams, stayed at the firm for 5 or so years and have never been out of a job since! Ok so they all started on 80 odd quid a week but I would have loved to of had something like that available when I left school!

It's a shame that the young chap turned it down!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

discrimination :(

edit: oops, read through the rest of the thread and realised there has been enough mentioned about this, sorry! =]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If a youngster's got his head screwed on straight, he's more than welcome to join my team. But I tell ya, you guys are few and far between.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't hire specifically because of age, then yes, that's true. But if his age is what causes him to act like the tool described in the OP, then THAT is what leads to him not being hired. Nothing illegal about that!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

My mother is a social worker, and one of her observations about younger people today is that they seem to be (not are) less tolerant and more impatient than back in the 60s when she was young, or back in the early/mid 90's when me and my younger bro were coming up. i.e. someone steps on your foot by accident, it could escelate into something worse.

For some young people, it's the live fast die young, YouTube age. Some don't want to learn their craft, hone their skills with several years of hard work before moving up, and this isn't just exclusive to the IT industry I'm sure.

I've never got this 'get it now at all costs' mentality that come with people (and I'm not just talking about youngsters). Spend a good amount of time learning from those around you, learn from mistakes made (and we've all made plenty I'm sure :)) and it can only be beneficial in the long run to future success.

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  13. westernkings

I'll see you in the office on Monday :p

14. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Hey where abouts in Bucks? Im currently doing part time evening uni in Bucks Uni.

Im 24 - is that too old for the position?

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Pretty accurate depiction of todays youths to be fair
    but that said, its not very different in the corporate world, I have worked places where the mighty dollar reigns supreme and have been asked to do jobs i'm not trained/qualified to do, just because i was the only guy free to do it, and despite warnings about the potential reputation damage to our firm, get blamed when it all goes tits up

it's not just the youths :)

I started in IT at 14, got a few lucky breaks, hit some brick walls around my 20s as my experience was getting me forwarded for team leader level roles, nobody wants a team leader as old as their kids..
    been consulting for 8 years now, love the variety, love the constant challenges and love the crazy new tech i get to play with :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That would make a change.

Sparky MSc :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. westernkings

Are you fishing for beef? Get your tackle box!

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just banter... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Ill relocate if you can provide 25K, i wont even mind dropping this 5K to join you :D